New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently started having problems when trying to rip my audio CDs to mp3. I get a messages that says "Windows Media Player cannot rip one or more tracks from the CD." I am running Win 7, 64 bit. In the recent past I have been able to rip at amazingly fast speeds using both of my CD/DVD optical drives simultaneously. Now I get this error message no matter which drive I try to rip from. My rip settings are: rip to MP3, eject CD after ripping, Audio Quality is 86MB per CD (192 kbps). I researched this error message on the internet and tried suggestions of changing the Audio Quality setting to a higher Quality, but I still get the same error message. I have changed the setting from rip to MP3 to rip to WMA, and still get the same error message. I have a backup PC in my office which is set up identically but with a slower processor and it rips perfectly using two optical drives simultaneously, but slower. Any ideas? I have disabled or removed WMP from my PC and then re-enabled or reinstalled with no change.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know how to fix WMP, but I usually use Exact Audio Copy (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/) to do my ripping. It especially handles scratched CDs very well, retrying bad sectors multiple times. Perhaps you could give that a try, or some other ripper, just to determine whether the problem is with WMP itself (the other rippers work but WMP doesn't) or if there is something fundamentally wrong in your system (none of the rippers work).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you are trying to rip to a network folder try a local folder.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP - I am ripping to a local hard drive.

Peter Johnson 2191 - I have tried successfully to use other freeware and shareware programs, they work fine, but are much slower or have major flaws.

Still hoping someone can help me to get WMP to work again.

Thanks, Craig
    Craig

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does the event viewer have anything in it that might give more detail of the error?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling WMP. In Programs and Features click the "Turn Windows features on and off" link, and then unselect the checkbox next to Media Features. This will uninstall WMP, WMC and DVD Maker. Reboot. Then got back in and select the Media Features checkbox. Then go to Windows update to reinstall any updates.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    mercyh - Thanks for your reply. I could not find anything in the event viewer relating to this problem. In fact there are no events listed near the times I attempted to rip.

Peter Johnson2191 - I tried uninstalling and reinstalling WMP following your instructions. My WMP still will not rip anything, I have tried different types of media, and different disks of each media type to be sure it is not the CDs that are at fault. I am still getting the messages that says "Windows Media Player cannot rip one or more tracks from the CD."

Any other ideas? I would give up, but my new PC and processor are twice as fast ripping as my old PC.
    Craig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found the answer to my problem. In a few of the many responses I have received from this and other forums and from other research on the internet it was mentioned to change the “Rip music to this location” setting to a local drive. Other comments talked of a grayed out “Change” save to location button in the settings options. Well, I am not on a network, but the “Rip music to this location” Change button was grayed out. No matter what I tried I could not change that setting. I finally went into my Explorer “Libraries” and deleted the (empty) folder where my ripped files were supposed to go and then made a new folder with the same name. I could then “change” the “Rip music to this location” setting to my new folder. Doing this made everything work again. Thanks for everyone’s help.
    Craig

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Well, that was kind of strange. Glad you got it working. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe