New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have one problem with not being able to use Defender. It makes it difficult to take stop programs from automatically starting up. I'm using MSE and it seems to completely block Defender from starting at all and I have not been able to figure out how to stop certain programs from starting without it in Vista.

Thanks
    Hi Randy,

First try to look for settings within each of the program's options to see if disable startup when Windows boots. Some programs have user selectable preferences like that, and some do not.

Another way to disable software from starting at Windows boot is the edit MSConfig startup tab. You can uncheck each program box to prevent it from starting. Type msconfig in the Start menu search box and press enter.

Another program that reveals all software that starts up with Windows can be seen and downloaded from here . The program is Autoruns. You would probably be interested mostly in the Logon and Services tabs for programs that start when Windows boots up.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Gerald; I'll definitely check these out.

Actually, I just went and used MSConfig and found a ton of things running on startup that had no business running at all. I unchecked them and rebooted and my computer is now up and running in less than half the time! Thanks for the tip.

R