New Lounger
    Thanks
    On Windows 7 (32-bit) I want to rename notepad.exe to MSnotepad.exe in preparation for replacing notepad.exe with NoteTab. The replacement works fine, but the renamed MSnotepad.exe files will not launch and give no error in Windows' Event Logs. This CMD file shows what I've done:

:: Take ownership of the MS installed copies of Notepad
    takeown /f c:\windows\notepad.exe /D
    takeown /f c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe /D
    :: Grant Full Control to the Administrators group (of which I am a member)
    echo y | Icacls c:\windows\notepad.exe /Grant Administrators:F
    echo y | Icacls c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe /Grant Administrators:F
    :: Copy the original notepad.exe to another name
    copy c:\windows\notepad.exe c:\windows\MSnotepad.exe
    copy c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe c:\windows\system32\MSnotepad.exe
    :END

Any ideas?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems like a lot of work to go through - I just copied the notepad.exe file in Explorer and msnotepad.exe runs just fine, no messing with access lists or anything. You might also to a search on notepad.exe - seems like Windows maintains a lot of copies of it. Try deleting all of the ones you see in strange locations.

Thanks
    From a quick skate through my XP Pro registry, it seems that Microsoft has become deeply confused over the years as to where NOTEPAD.EXE should be located and how to specify its path!
    I gave up pressing F3 after well over a hundred instances of NOTEPAD.EXE in some path or other. How many ever get used? Who knows?

I would suggest that the only practical way of getting your NOTETAB to work in all circumstances would be to copy it to both \Windows and \Windows\System32 and rename it as NOTEPAD.EXE...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You do not need to rename notepad.exe in order for note tab.exe to be associated with certain file types. It should associate itself to .txt on install, and you can change other associations in "Default Programs" "Associate a file type or protocol with a program", which should be on your start menu, on the right side.

Tim

Thanks
    Your suggestion deals with part of the problem - but would Microsoft put hundreds of entries in the registry with NOTEPAD.EXE in the path if your suggestion completely solved the entire problem?
    BATcher

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I suspect the registry entries are there to tell each application what to use for text. Windows is nothing if not flexible.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Which rather proves my point - the only practical way of ensuring that NOTETAB will be used in all circumstances instead of Microsoft's NOTEPAD is to rename NOTETAB.EXE to be NOTEPAD.EXE in both \Windows and \Windows\System32 !
    BATcher

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could cheat - as I do - and add NoteTab to the Send To menu (create a shortcut to NoteTab in your Send To folder).

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use UltraEdit and it used to come with a script that replaced NotePad with UltraEdit (it still might have the script, I don't know). This was fairly tricky in XP since Windows kept a shadow copy of NotePad and monitored if it was replaced and then automatically restored it. The script overwrote the shadow copy first before overwriting the myriad of other places that it appeared. Initially, I did this. But after a while I got tired of resetting this every time I installed or reinstalled XP. Thus for the last several years all I have ever done is installed UltraEdit, and now NotePad++ as well. Both apps put an entry in the right-click menu. And I have at times added UltraEdit to the Send To menu. I do not recall the last time that I ended up opening a file in NotePad - the settings I have for UltraEdit and NotePad++ are sufficient for me to use them and never have to deal with NotePad turning my text files into trash.