New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi folks:

This is my initial post although I've been a subscriber to 'Secrets' for years.

I'm running W7 Pro 64 bit on a home-built computer
    - 1 TB Seagate Barracuda with several partitions
    - Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 mobo
    - Lite-on DVD/CD writer
    - 8 GB RAM - 4GB from G.Skill and 4 from Corsair

The unit had been running fine for several months until a couple of days ago weird things began happening. I thought I traced my startup issues to the 500 GB Seagate Free Agent Pro backup drive. I detached it, and things seemed to be better.

Then, none of my applications worked. I had an 'appcrash' on each of them. A websearch resulted in a suggestion that the problem lay in MS's SQM Database or something like that (exact info is locked on the non-working computer.) There also was a recommendation that I delete one item in the Registry. I made a copy of the Registry and then deleted the item. Immediately, all of my applications worked.

Rapidly, however, things deteriorated to the point where I cannot boot. When I start up, if I choose 'Start Windows normally,' the next thing I get is the 'Starting Windows' screen with the animated MS flag. Then: BSOD.

If I choose the Startup Repair option, I have no luck. I do not remember making a repair/recovery disk. There's a lot of remodeling going on at the old casita these days, so things are a little disorganized. My bad luck.

So I decided I should do a reinstallation of W7.

Can anyone recommend another course? Thanks to all. It's a privilege to have a resource like this.

Jack Lavelle - Phoenix

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 50GreenDodge View Post
    Hi folks:

This is my initial post although I've been a subscriber to 'Secrets' for years.

I'm running W7 Pro 64 bit on a home-built computer
    - 1 TB Seagate Barracuda with several partitions
    - Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 mobo
    - Lite-on DVD/CD writer
    - 8 GB RAM - 4GB from G.Skill and 4 from Corsair

The unit had been running fine for several months until a couple of days ago weird things began happening. I thought I traced my startup issues to the 500 GB Seagate Free Agent Pro backup drive. I detached it, and things seemed to be better.

Then, none of my applications worked. I had an 'appcrash' on each of them. A websearch resulted in a suggestion that the problem lay in MS's SQM Database or something like that (exact info is locked on the non-working computer.) There also was a recommendation that I delete one item in the Registry. I made a copy of the Registry and then deleted the item. Immediately, all of my applications worked.

Rapidly, however, things deteriorated to the point where I cannot boot. When I start up, if I choose 'Start Windows normally,' the next thing I get is the 'Starting Windows' screen with the animated MS flag. Then: BSOD.

If I choose the Startup Repair option, I have no luck. I do not remember making a repair/recovery disk. There's a lot of remodeling going on at the old casita these days, so things are a little disorganized. My bad luck.

So I decided I should do a reinstallation of W7.

Can anyone recommend another course? Thanks to all. It's a privilege to have a resource like this.

Jack Lavelle - Phoenix

Jack it almost sounds like a video driver on boot. does it do the same thing in safe boot (F8)?

Ken J
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ken:

I can't even get to Safe Boot any longer. The only options I have are 1) Startup Repair or 2) Start Windows normally.

Neither of those options does anything for me at this point.

Thanks for your suggestion. It MAY have been a video driver at an earlier time, because I did get a couple of queries from the ATI card.

I neglected to mention I have an ATI Radeon HD 4850

Thanks
    If you did not create a system repair disk (needed if you did not receive a system installation disk) but you do have a Win 7 installation disk, simple stick it in, reboot and try the repair installation. The system repair disk is absolutely needed without the original installation disk, the original disk has all the files you need for the repair. Worth a try.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted. I'm gonna do it to see. If that doesn't help, I can always reinstall.

Thanks
    Boot with the Windows 7 DVD or the created bootdisk and get to a command promt.
    Try chkdsk with the "r" switch.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just let my machine sit for 24-36 hours and then ran startup repair. It seems to be working fine now, although I am still having Outlook 2007 issues. I hate that program. '03 was a whole lot better, more stable, in my experience.

Thanks for all your suggestions. This is a good joint to hang out in.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been having similar start up problems and have a post running headed NVIDIA. I found a temporary fix to the problem by dissabaling the video driver.