New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I reinstalled XP Home on my internal backup hard drive, and when it was complete, I ended up with duplicate user names.
    Example: On Windows Username sign in I have:
    Larry
    Tom
    Jane
    I can log onto the desktop with either username.

However under Documents and Settings there are now username folders for
    Larry
    Larry.HOME
    Tom
    Tom.Home
    Jane
    Jane.Home
    NOTE: (HOME is the name I gave for my computer during the reinstall )

The .HOME usernames are from the new reinstall and contain very little in My Documents
    The usernames without the .HOME contain all of the old files in my documents (that's a plus, as I thought they would be lost during reinstall)

On this reinstalled (D) drive I have:
    WINDOWS (new from reinstall)
    Program Files (older, original and seem to be all working fine)

Under Documents and Settings, I have
    All Users
    All Users.WINDOWS (Does not contain windows, rather contains similar as All Users files)
    Default User
    Default User.WINDOWS (again does not contain WINDOWS)
    Larry (contains all old documents)
    Larry.HOME (contains newley installed documents, very little, samples etc)
    Tom (contains all old documents)
    Tom.HOME ( again very little and new)
    Jane (old)
    Jane.HOME (new)

Evidently, I didn't reinstall XP without a complete format, perhaps I installed 'on top'? On this drive,windows was previously unstable, and I thought I
    would lose files, but decided to reinstall anyway.
    In either case, I'm happy to see my files are still intact, however this small 20G hard drive now is 80% full probably due to the "double" install.
    Everything seems to work ok, it's just the duplicate usernames, and the amount of disk space is not right

Finally, if anyone has any advise or opinions I can use, to help take control of the duplicate users would be appreciated.
    Could I safely delete the new .HOME users ,which contain very little?
    Or should I move the old user document files to the new .HOME user files, then delete the old username ( I don't like Larry.Home My Documents)
    Or should I try another reinstall?

Thanks
    Larry

Thanks
    I reinstalled XP Home on my internal backup hard drive, and when it was complete, I ended up with duplicate user names.
    How exactly did you "reinstall"?
    Repeat the clean install. This time go over your settings carefully, it looks as though you did not get the drive properly formatted
    prior to installation of XP.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "On top of" would more accurately describe a repair reinstallation. You probably just installed XP "along side of" the previous installation, within the same disk partition. If the previous installation remained functional, you would probably be asked whether you wanted to boot XP or XP every time you booted. One of which would boot the previous installation and one of which would boot the new installation.

A truly "clean" re-installation involves deleting the system partition, creating a new partition from that now unused space, and formatting the newly-created partition before any files are installed, shortly after booting from the XP CD. Most particularly, the formatting process eliminates the old file table and creates a new and empty file table for the partition, thereby removing all reference to any previous files. (The bits of ones and zeros that defined some previous files will remain on the partition unless wiped or otherwise written over, and may be recovered by data recovery software, but otherwise a clean installation would have no consciousness of their existance. Bits on the disk simply aren't defined as a file unless there is an appropriate entry in the file table.)

It's nice that you now have a "working" system and access to your files, but recovering any significant volume of disk space might be a challenge.

Still, if the system seems stable, has all your apps in working order, and you need to backup some of your data files and program settings anyway, and you're interested in experimenting, it can't hurt to try. Worst case you'll waste some time, maybe you'll learn a few things about how XP thinks, and perhaps it'll work out fine. Likely not. First thing, back up whatever you want to keep.

You could delete the new *.Home folders in Documents and Settings, but you would have to link the old folders to any new shortcuts on each user's desktop, in their new start menu, and perhaps other locations. That would alleviate some clutter, but probably not recover much disk space.

Other duplications may occupy more disk space and be a lot more difficult to differentiate. A free program like TreeSize can be helpful when evaluating disk space usage, and might reveal whether there is any unnecessary duplication of significant volume, but you'd need other clues to determine which installation was tied to which duplication, and removing or even renaming the wrong one might simply disable the system.

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

GM

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies.

I don't remember exactly how I reinstalled, and I don't remember the format process, so evidently I installed "along side" the old.
    During a boot to this drive, I do get a prompt to enter delete to select this drive.

So it looks like I'll do a complete reinstall. (after saving needed files)
    What choice should I select from the Reinstallation XP disk?

(This is used as a backup hard drive (20G) in case the primary (250G) drive malfunctions)

Appreciate it

Thanks
    Here is a good article that will walk you through a clean install of Windows XP.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.