5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have numerous keyboard shortcuts set up in Word 2007 for styles, macros and other commands. How can I change or remove a keyboard shortcut that I have set up for a macro, given that the "Current keys" field in the Customize Keyboard dialogue box displays keyboard shortcuts that have been set up for styles and other commands but not for macros, which seems to be a bug. Can the keyboard shortcut definitions be viewed and edited elsewhere; e.g., directly in a configuration file?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You should be able to apply keyboard shortcuts to macros in Word 2007 - it's still available in the Customize Keyboard dialog (to get to it: Office Button > Word Options > Customize > click on Keyboard shortcuts: Customize button > then under Categories on the left, scroll down until you can see Macros). See attached screenshot.

Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply; however, you may have misread my post. I have set up keyboard shortcuts for macros, styles, etc. but when I go to Options > Customize > Keyboard shortcuts and select Categories: Styles, then the shortcuts for styles are displayed in the Current keys field, but when I select Categories: Macros, then the shortcuts for macros are not displayed in the Current keys field (which seems to be a bug), so I can't change or delete them there. Hence my query whether I can view and change them somewhere else; e.g., directly in a configuration file.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sorry, I didn't grasp that on the first go 'round. If that is occurring, it is a bug. I'll check again myself, when I get back to a location with a Word 2007 PC, later on Saturday.

In the meantime, take a look at this thread from another site, in particular post #3 - that poster had a similar problem arise when they imported a .bas file from their old 2003 Normal.dot, into their new 2007 Normal.dotm. Is that by any chance relevant to what you're seeing?

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't have Word 2007 on this machine so this may indeed be a bug with that version. I think perhaps you need to check the template applicability too before we can definitely declare it is a bug.

The keyboard shortcuts 'should' be displayed in that dialog but they may have been stored in a different template (the attached template or an addin). In Gary's screen capture you can see that it is showing the Normal.dotm template has no keyboard customisation for that macro. If your keyboard customisation is stored in a different template then you need to 'Save changes in' that template.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Following up on Andrew's note: here's another screenshot, this time set to a specific template (name partially anonymized) that does contain a macro that has a key assignment (although the macros list still mostly is showing macros from my Normal.dotm). Here, the key assignment is definitely visible.

Gary

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your further replies. I tried the following, which may provide further information.

1. Delete Normal.dotm.

2. Open Word, create a macro ("Test"), and assign a keyboard shortcut (Alt + Ctrl + X), which is displayed as below.

[attachment=89094:Macro1.jpg]

3. Close and re-open Word.

4. The shortcut still works but is no longer displayed, as below. This seems to be a bug. Hence my query whether I can view and change them somewhere else; e.g., directly in a configuration file.

[attachment=89095:Macro2.jpg]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just tested a few times, and I can confirm this behavior. (I created simple macros and assigned keyboard shortcuts, used those keyboard shortcuts to invoke the macros, and checked the Customize Keyboard dialog -- which initially displayed the key assignments. Then I closed out of Word, reopened the program, made sure that the key assignments still worked, and looked in the Customize Keyboard dialog again, only to discover that the keyboard shortcuts no longer appeared.)

There is an alternative. Clicking the "Print What" drop-down at the lower left side of the Print dialog and then selecting "Key assignments" produces a list that displays keyboard shortcuts you have assigned to various features. In my tests, the lists included key assignments for my new macros.

It can be difficult to identify certain keyboard shortcuts in the list as belonging to macros unless you typed a description when you created the macro. Fortunately, it's easy to add a description even for a macro you created some time ago. You can simply open the Macros dialog either from the View tab or from the Developer tab and type in the Description box. Then, when you print the key assignments, the resulting list shows both the key assignment and your description.

I believe the "Print What" option prints the key assignments for items in the current document and in the underlying template.

Once you have printed the list of key assignments, you'll probably have to open the Customize Keyboard dialog and, for each macro, reassign the original key combination and then remove it. A kludgy solution, I realize, but it does seem to work.

Does that help?

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your very helpful reply.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently Microsoft does not want to encourage macros for security reasons, so it is not surprising that they make you go through hoops to correct a macro situation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by elikam View Post
    Apparently Microsoft does not want to encourage macros for security reasons...
    I don't know what gives you that impression. In the early days, Word users were stung hard by macro-based malware, so the default position is not to trust any documents (or templates outside of the allowed locations). That's a necessary evil.

Microsoft has continued to enhance the macro language and object model (in most applications) even though it had hoped to obsolete it with its .Net-based development tools. I don't see any signs that we're going to lose the ability to use and share macros, although wiring them up to the ribbon certainly is more challenging than connecting them to toolbars and menus in the old interface.