Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lately I have occasionally found a Netflicks advertisement webpage opened on my desktop when I close the browser; the latest one shows this address: http://cdn.optmd.com/V2/62428/187343...nts/tools.html, but I have had this happen on other sites as well as math.com. Why are these few getting around all my security programs when most are stopped? How do we stop this?

I have IE8, Google toolbar, ESET Nod32, Comodo Firewall and SuperAntispyware. All are realtime and up to date.

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    You can try adding the pop unders, when they occur, to your blocked sites list in IE. Go to Tools, Internet Options, Privacy, Sites and add them here and choose block. This may help to stop them. Also check your Pop Up Blocker settings in Tools. There is a setting at the bottom of the window, High, Medium and Low. Obviously ensure high is checked.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted,

I added the website as suggested. We will see what happens.

I am just surprised that only this company has been able to get past the controls I have, which already included the IE settings you recommended. Is this something new?

Thanks
    Not new, but these folks are getting much trickier in their methods. Hopefully this addition will fix your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bill,
    Excellent advice from Ted. I would also use a program called Spybot (search and destroy) which is awesome for removing these popups and popunders from your system,of which should also be done to insure privacy, bandwidth and security. Please be VERY careful of another junk product that will hijack you and has close to the same name.
    You will find the download for this free and awesome program here: Spybot search and destroy Plz dont be afraid to donate,I have used this for years and consider it an awesome program for many problems-not only popups. There are no requirements for this program. I would suggest that you get to know all the awesome things it posseses.
    I hope this post helps many. Good luck!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't be afraid to try an alternate browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox. You should have them anyway - in case of emergency.
    MS MCP, MCSE, MVP

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by loco NUTT View Post
    .... I would also use a program called Spybot (search and destroy) which is awesome for removing these popups and popunders from your system,of which should also be done to insure privacy, bandwidth and security. Please be VERY careful of another junk product that will hijack you and has close to the same name.
    You will find the download for this free and awesome program here: Spybot search and destroy Plz dont be afraid to donate,I have used this for years and consider it an awesome program for many problems-not only popups. There are no requirements for this program. I would suggest that you get to know all the awesome things it posseses.
    I hope this post helps many. Good luck!
    One of the best benefits of Spybot Search & Destroy is its Immunization feature. Be sure to take advantage of it! update periodically, as they update the "bad" sites they become aware of, and those will also be blocked by the immunization.

Thanks
    Chrome will show many of these popups just as badly as IE or Firefox. Firefox can block them with its NoScript add-on. Chrome does not have this, but it does support AdBlock Plus. I would not rely on third-party antispyware programs for this purpose. IE settings are useless in this situation.

BTW, the Netflix ad comes from Zedo.com, and is generally harmless. Just close it after you get to your desktop.
    -- Bob Primak --