2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,
    I purchased a retail package from Office Max. It is Office Home and Student 2007. Supposedly contains license for 3 installs. My 1st attempt to install produces error message "not a valid character in product key". I don't get past screen 1. I was inputting the product key as requested on screen 1!!! This is the 1st 5 characters in the product key. (JX"GF) I enclosed in parenthesis because of weirdness of characters. That is not a typo!!! The 3rd character is actually ". Yet the setup does not accept!!!
    HELP. Anybody got a clue???
    Michael

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelA View Post
    Hi all,
    I purchased a retail package from Office Max. It is Office Home and Student 2007. Supposedly contains license for 3 installs. My 1st attempt to install produces error message "not a valid character in product key". I don't get past screen 1. I was inputting the product key as requested on screen 1!!! This is the 1st 5 characters in the product key. (JX"GF) I enclosed in parenthesis because of weirdness of characters. That is not a typo!!! The 3rd character is actually ". Yet the setup does not accept!!!
    HELP. Anybody got a clue???
    Michael
    Take it back to Office Max, as this is not a valid key. They are all letters, not characters.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    UPDATE
    I contacted Microsoft customer support to complain and check possible piracy. I was very surprised to get connected to a live person in about 1minute!!! I explained the " in the product key. He apologized instantly!!! He then asked me to read to him the entire key, which i did. He then asked me to read some things from the front of the CD. Then he asked me to write down a new key which he carefully asked me to verify. All this took less than 2 minutes!!! Finally he asked me to go back to page 1 and enter the key he gave me. He waited on the phone for installation progress verification.
    WALLA. Installation proceeded. He then apologized for the problem and told me to call back again if there was any other problems!!!
    He never did explain what was wrong, or why, but the entire problem was resolved in less than 5 minutes from call initiation!!!
    This was the fastest customer service solution I have ever encountered.
    All I can say is; if anybody out there has a " in their product key, call Microsoft. They will issue you a new key instantly.
    Michael

Thanks
    Glad MS fixed the problem. I have had to call twice for reactivation after an OS upgrade and they have always been very cordial and helpful. I would still contact Office Max so they can check their stock in case there are more of these what appear to be misprints. This might help someone else.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Take it back to Office Max, as this is not a valid key. They are all letters, not characters.
    Worth a quick look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812467 for a more precise statement All product keys are formed from numeric characters and (upper-case) alphabetic characters only (if you ignore the hyphen separating each pair of groups of five characters). If you enter a lower-case alphabetic character it gets translated by the activation routine to upper case.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...