View Poll Results: Should the lounge have a downloaders beware section?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 60.00%
  • No

4 40.00%
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The idea is simple, a forum where users can post beware ads about bad or misleading software such as the one I recently encountered (http://bro.ws/776165L I apologize if I ranted a bit). Obviously it would be in users hands to make the forum as good as possible and not just rant about things like how bad McAfee is. I'd hope that it would include both paid and freeware products and that it would have a sticky or something explaining the differences between freeware, paid shareware, free shareware, and any other type of software you could think of. I'd also hope that users would explain clearly why we shouldn't download something with simple explanations like: Paid shareware advertising like free shareware.

To make sure I'm clear on the definitions I'm using:
    Freeware = free and usually open source
    Free Shareware = Not open source but, you don't have to pay for it
    Paid Shareware = Not open source and you DO have to pay for it

Please vote and post, If you think it's a good idea and have something to add or if you think it's a bad idea and wish to explain why, I'm open to all replies.
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, if only for the simple reason people will rant, even when they were trying not to, e.g. in the original post where it says:
    and not just rant about things like how bad McAfee is
    Is that not an unsubstantiated 'bad mouthing' of a named company and thus a violation of Rule 11?

Oh and what about Rule 8, Do not transmit dangerous material?

stuck

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    No, if only for the simple reason people will rant, even when they were trying not to, e.g. in the original post where it says:

Is that not an unsubstantiated 'bad mouthing' of a named company and thus a violation of Rule 11?

Oh and what about Rule 8, Do not transmit dangerous material?

stuck
    My goal wasn't to 'bad mouth' any particular company I was just referring to a common thread I've seen in quite a few forums. I apologize if that broke a rule. As for Rule 8, I really can't see how anyone would be 'transmitting dangerous material' by alerting people of bad or misleading deals.

I do acknowledge the problem with ranting. It's a risk for any such forum but, I do think it would be nice to have a good go to for whether a product is good or not. If you read my other thread you'd see that I had nothing but headaches with a certain [named company] program. Most of these problems could easily be identified as OS independent. Also false advertising is (I believe) illegal and I'm pretty sure that saying something is free, not mentioning the word 'trial' until after downloading and installing a program is false advertising. I also believe such a forum would be a good place to put articles dealing with viruses that disguise themselves as good programs such as the fake Malwarebyte's program (Pretty sure that was a Windows Secrets Newsletter I read that in).
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm still not convinced. Not that long ago members of The Lounge would discuss the sort of things you are talking about on the boards that already exist, namely:

Security and Backups
    and
    Other Applications

stuck

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm still not convinced. Not that long ago members of The Lounge would discuss the sort of things you are talking about on the boards that already exist, namely:

Security and Backups
    and
    Other Applications

stuck
    Well, those are okay places to talk about such things but, I still think a dedicated section would be nice, especially if we could search just one forum for all such things.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm still still not convinced. If the existing boards are OK for discussing such things then you don't need a separate board for them.

stuck

Thanks
    No, it would turn into a subjective company bashing rant fest, not to mention a moderating headache.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I'll jump in here to pull a little "seniority" as a real "old time" Lounger.
    IF you had a problem with a piece of software or a particular company, you posted it in the proper Forum. The unwritten law was, if you had troubles, you posted it. You were expressing your opinion, not that of the Forum. ( I think that is still an allowable thing to do here? )
    A separate forum just for rants would be just that, a collection of miscellaneous complaints.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I may never have reached the heights of WMVP or Mod but I'm actually more of a real "old time" Lounger than you Viking . I arrived here in April 2001, you didn't show up until June 2002.

stuck

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Acknowledged. So then, instead of a forum perhaps a new search and mark tool. Basically a way for people to mark a thread as a bad experience or something (not very good wording but) then a way to search for that mark. A similar method could be used for the classic solved or not solved dilemma.

Thanks
    I may never have reached the heights of WMVP or Mod but I'm actually more of a real "old time" Lounger than you Viking . I arrived here in April 2001, you didn't show up until June 2002.

stuck
    Maybe so, time-wise, but we seem to agree on the lack of the need for a separate Forum.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    Maybe so, time-wise, but we seem to agree on the lack of the need for a separate Forum.
    Absolutely, why reinvent the wheel?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think a Downloader's Beware section is a great idea.

Regarding rants: I think there's a very fine line to be drawn between a rant and a listing of the negatives regarding various downloads, and that's the emotional reactions of the downloader's experience with the download. Which I believe is what previous posters to this thread are afraid The Lounge will be flooded with. To a certain extent, that fear may be realistic because the emotional reaction I referred to above is a sometimes justified anger. So if it's an outbreak of rudeness that anyone is worried about, I doubt very much that that will happen because in my experience the tone of The Lounge has always been above that level of dialog for the simple reason that this must be one of the most valuable sites for intelligent discussion around. Take the recent thread (New Foxit Reader Users Beware -- 14 July) about PDF-reader-freebie sites foisting off unwanted toolbars on the unwary downloader -- lots of reason for being P'd off but the discussion was more informative than angry. That's always been The Lounge's way and I don't think a Downloader's Beware section will change it.

As for calling the mention of McAfee, as used by the original poster, dumping on a manufacturer, that is hardly accurate if you happen to be aware of McAffee's reputation on the web at the moment , as well as the endless complaints on McAfee's own site. In other words, there was substance behind the reference to McAfee, and if elaborated on, would be a legitimate "beware".

On the plus side, a Downloader's Beware section would likely assemble a focused criticism on some negative aspects of SW downloading, as the original poster described.. It would be handy, and certainly less difficult and time-consuming than doing a search, where a large proportion of the hits are most often simple one sentence reccomendations.

Thanks
    I'm with Stuck and viking33 on this one: NO
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.