5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

cumulative graph (Acc97 SR2)

The database is monthly cost items for machine repairs. Fields are MachineID, Date, Hours, Parts, Labour, Fuel. There is a one-to-many relation using MachineID linking a "name" table with the "detail" table.

I have been able to construct a chart showing the Parts cost for each month. The chart redraws itself as I step between MachineID records on the form. My next steps are:
    1) to show Cumulative Parts costs for each month
    2) show Cumulative Parts costs versus Cumulative Hours, and
    3) show Cumulative Parts+Labour+Fuel versus Cumulative Hours

Question: is the summation done in the underlying query, or is it done in the Chart itself? I don't know how to calculate the cumulative values. If it was a report, then I would add a new "summation" control or use a Running Sum property. If it was Excel, I would add a new Summation column. But I am at a loss where to go with the Chart in Access.

Any help appreciated. Thx.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: cumulative graph (Acc97 SR2)

By cummulative, do you mean across all MachineIDs or for all months for a single MachineID? Also, do you mean that, as you sequentially navigate MachineIDs, you want the total costs to accumulate on the screen? What happens if you go back to a previous MachineID or jump around to various MachineIDs? Any Running Sum would not be really valid

If you want to see grand total for the month, imbed a subform that does a summation query on all machine repairs for the month.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: cumulative graph (Acc97 SR2)

I want to see the accumulated costs for all previous months. so January would show January's cost, Feb would show Jan + Feb, Mar would show Jan+Feb+Mar, etc.

searching on MS site, I found a Knowledge Base article that recognizes the gap in Access' capability. It proposed a query using a DSUM function, that sorta works. I wrote a generalize module that will create a temporary table with the information that I need.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada