New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

In Word 2003, when I paste text by doing a "Edit\Paste Special\paste unformatted," if the selection contained any automatic numbering, the pasted selection turns those numbers into regular text numbers (or "manual numbering" as they call it in my office).

I hate that!

In the previous version of Word we used (don't remember which. Maybe 2000?), paste unformatted would simply omit the numbering altogether. I much prefer that. Is there any way I can get Word 2003 to paste unformatted and NOT carry over the numbering at all?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It was probably an even older version than Word 2000 - I don't recall the numbers ever being omitted like that (I go back with Word to Word 97).

You could use the following macro, in place of doing a regular copy - this will copy the selected text, paste it into a temporary scratch document, set the style of the scratch document to Normal (thereby removing the numbers), then copy the contents of the scratch document, and finally close the scratch document without saving. This will leave on the clipboard your original selected text, in unformatted condition, minus the numbers.

Code:
    Sub CopySpecialWithoutNumbers()
       Dim TempDoc As Document
       Application.ScreenUpdating = False
       Selection.Copy
       Set TempDoc = Documents.Add
       TempDoc.Range.Paste
       TempDoc.Range.Style = wdStyleNormal
       TempDoc.Range.Copy
       TempDoc.Close wdDoNotSaveChanges
       Set TempDoc = Nothing
       Application.ScreenUpdating = True