Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I booted from the Win7 DVD and selected the repair option. Apparently no startup problems were found.However, I noticed that an earlier screen showed that my operating system was installed on the DVD drive, which makes no sense to me, instead of my C drive. How can I sort this out?

I should add that my OS is Win 7 Professional 32 bit.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy Whitethread
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Whitethread View Post
    I booted from the Win7 DVD and selected the repair option. Apparently no startup problems were found.However, I noticed that an earlier screen showed that my operating system was installed on the DVD drive, which makes no sense to me, instead of my C drive. How can I sort this out?

I should add that my OS is Win 7 Professional 32 bit.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy Whitethread

Roy Hi and welcome

Are you sure you are booting from the OS and not the dvd? Try rebooting with nothing in the dvd player. Could we get a snapshot of your drive management sp we can figure it out? (you can use the built in snipping tool--type snipping tool in search))

Ken J
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Thanks
    Type Disk Management in the search box. You can change the drive letter by right clicking on the drive (partition) and selecting change drive letter. I would first check as Ken suggested to be sure your Win 7 drive is indeed D before trying to change it. Generally the active drive in Win 7 is automatically called C, even in a multiboot senario.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ken and Ted,

Ken, I do not understand your reply. Normally I boot from the C drive, where the OS is installed, but restarted and went into the Bios to make the DVD drive E the first Boot Device because I wanted to use the startup repair option on the DVD.As I said I could not understand why my OS was shown as being on Drive E on the repair screen.

A snapshot of my drive management window is attached .

Please advise further.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

[attachment=89083:Screenshot - 26-Jun-10 , 11_00_03 AM.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Drive Management says that "C" is your primary boot drive.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't "know" the answer but will hazard a guess.

In your case you have disk2 set as C:, in a vanilla basic installation disk0 will be the C drive. This assignment was done at the OPERATING system (Windows) level.

When you boot from the DVD it is not loading the installed windows OS, it is loading an OS from the DVD. I think it is going to assign disk0 as C:. It will then give disk1 the next unassigned drive letter and disk2 the next.

If somebody who knows more about the guts of this can say if the DVD boot disk will load the drive letter assignments from the hard drive installation, we can prove whether this assumption is correct or not.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Johnston View Post
    Roy Hi and welcome

Are you sure you are booting from the OS and not the dvd? Try rebooting with nothing in the dvd player. Could we get a snapshot of your drive management sp we can figure it out? (you can use the built in snipping tool--type snipping tool in search))

Ken J
    Ken,

I need to thank you. Until I read your comment I never knew I had the sniping tool. I've been using Gadwin's print screen. Now I can eliminate one more item in my start up.

Sorry I'm off topic.

Thanks
    I suppose you could swap sata cables between drive "D" (disk 0) and your current drive "C" (disc 2).
    Then change your drive letters around so that the remaining CD/DVD drive is the latter alphabet leter.
    Your "H" drive would be "E", and you CD/DVD drive would be "F".

Then run your repair boot disk and see where things stand.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    IF the partition you are installing W7 to is un-formatted, W7 will install a C: and D: partition (just as your disk-manager shows) . IF the partition you are installing W7 to is formatted, W7 will install everything to C: - unfortunately I have not found any way to "undo" the C: D: thing, except to re-install to a formatted partition.