New Lounger
    Ukiah, California, USA
    I just received a new ATI HD5850 videocard, not realizing that it would require two power connections. My Antec 650W PSU has only one dedicated video power line (6 + 2). I just want to check with folks who know more about things than I do to make sure that 1) there is no problem using just the 6-pin connector and leaving the 2-pin hanging loose, and 2) there is no problem with using a 4-pin molex (using two of them) to 6-pin video adapter to produce the second power connection for the video card. I cannot see any reason why there would be a problem with this scenario, but I have also fiddled with computers enough to know that I am a complete novice and can certainly not know something that could bit me in the ass [which has happened more than a few times ;-) ].

Thanks in advance for your advice,

California & Arizona
    ATI Radeon™ HD 5850 System Requirements

Use the 6 pin power connector. No problem with the 2 pin power connector hanging loose.
    You should be able to get by with your PSU, SLI would be pushing it though.
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

North Carolina, USA
    Hi Stuart,

In response to your 2nd point, are you thinking of using an adapter such as this one from NewEgg ? If so, that should work out fine for your card.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill