Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi forum members, I need some help please. Today my USB card reader and flash drives stopped working, Win 7 Home premium 64 bit. Everything worked yesterday. The only thing that is different is a Windows update Net framework 4 and Revo uninstaller upgrade. I get the following message " Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) " Device manager shows the card reader with yellow exclamation marks. Yet when in properties for the device (update drivers) , it says the best driver is already installed. Have been searching the internet for 2 hours with no luck.
    My cordless mouse works OK (USB ). Also when hooking up the Camera directly to the same USB port all is well. And I can download the pictures that way. I have 2 card readers neither one works also have 2 flash drives they don't work either. Could it be Net framework 4? Could I uninstall it ? Seems strange that it happened now after the upgrades. I would really like the use of the Card reader. Any help would be much appreciated. Regards Peter

Thanks
    There have been some problems reported with net 4. I would try an uninstall. Control Panel, Programs and Features, on the left side of the window, View installed updates. I would look at these and uninstall the net 4 update. There may have been other updates at the same time. Uninstall all and see if the problem clears up, then reinstall one at a time leaving the net 4 for last. If the remainder of the updates do not cause the problem, leave the net 4 update off for now.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted, thanks for the quick reply. No fix . uninstalling Net framework 4 did not correct the problem. I am still stuck. It is just the card readers and the flash drives. Generic USB devices. Regards Peter

Thanks
    Try rolling back your system to before the .Net 4 update using System Restore. The update made some changes in the Registry, and that may be why the uninstall did not help.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Have you tried to uninstall (remove, delete) the devices in Device Manager, reboot and let Windows detect and reinstall the drivers for the devices. Right click and choose appropriate response. Click OK when asked if you really want to do this. Upon reboot the device should be found as new hardware and reinstalled. You might also go to the PC manufacturer's site and look for support. My support site has drivers available for all the devices on our Sony laptops so we can get the newest drivers directly from them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gerald and Ted, my recovery usually does not work. Even after win 7 upgrade install. Anyway why can I not delete the corrupt windows drivers and reinstall them using my install DVD? I knew how to do it in XP but win 7 I don't know how. Could someone tell me how please. Regards Peter

Thanks
    Instead of removing or deleting the device from Device Manager, select uninstall.
    But first, find out where the driver files are physically located by going the device "Driver Details" panel.

Note filenames and there location;
    Be very carefull which ones you delete, instead, copy them to another location off the main drive.
    And remember where they can be returned to in case of issues later.

The image attached is an example of this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint, thank you for the help. here are the drivers in question [attachment=89088river error.PNG] The locations are C:\windows\sys32\drivers\disk.sys and C:\win\sys32\drivers\partmgr.sys. Deleting hopefully will be OK unless it again says you do not have authority etc. My problem is how now to install the drivers from the DVD as it is full of cab files that do not tell me which files are where. I should mention that the 2 printers are also USB and they work just fine. Just flash drives and Camera card readers. Device mgr list the drivers with the yellow exclamation mark. When you unplug the reader or flash drive they go away from device mgr. Windows will not reinstall the drivers as it say they are the latest in one instance and in the next saying they are corrupt. What a system. Regards Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    How about looking for them on the manufacturer's site. The ones on the DVD are bound to be old.
    You may also want to try the "SFC /SCANNOW Command".

Some more info from MS on: How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint, I most certainly appreciate your help. The Scannow did not find any problems. Nor did scannow /f. Many hours have been spent trying to fix this. The replacement and deletion of the corrupt USB window files seem too complicated for me. Deletion is no problem as the device manager, driver detail lists them. The reinstall is the problem (XP was much easier. ) The Microsoft procedure you posted for me is above my head. How can this be so complicated to reinstall corrupt windows generic card reader and flash drive drivers? here is how both the card readers and flash drives behave all 4 of them. When you plug them into the USB port/s the window sound then nothing device manager shows the with the exclamation marks. When you unplug them the drives and exclamation marks go away. When you do not unplug the reader or flash drive and uninstall them in device manager restart win 7 it finds them again but says unable to install as the drivers are corrupt. I believe that it is a windows issue as my 2 card reader and 2 flash drives did not fail overnight at the same time.
    Please do not feel that you have to fix this. As I have done a reinstall of Win 7 for a different reason 1 month ago I hate to have to do it again. Would be nice to have it all working though. Trying to download the drivers for the Transcend reader and flash drive cost me $ 40.00 for a file helper program. Did not help. Had it fixed the concern it would have been OK. Anyway I'll keep it. If only I could find the driver files, as listed earlier, on the Win 7 DVD then I could exatrct them and place them on my hard drive. Regards Peter

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schulze View Post
    Hi Clint, I most certainly appreciate your help. The Scannow did not find any problems. Nor did scannow /f. Many hours have been spent trying to fix this. The replacement and deletion of the corrupt USB window files seem too complicated for me. Deletion is no problem as the device manager, driver detail lists them. The reinstall is the problem (XP was much easier. ) The Microsoft procedure you posted for me is above my head. How can this be so complicated to reinstall corrupt windows generic card reader and flash drive drivers? here is how both the card readers and flash drives behave all 4 of them. When you plug them into the USB port/s the window sound then nothing device manager shows the with the exclamation marks. When you unplug them the drives and exclamation marks go away. When you do not unplug the reader or flash drive and uninstall them in device manager restart win 7 it finds them again but says unable to install as the drivers are corrupt. I believe that it is a windows issue as my 2 card reader and 2 flash drives did not fail overnight at the same time.
    Please do not feel that you have to fix this. As I have done a reinstall of Win 7 for a different reason 1 month ago I hate to have to do it again. Would be nice to have it all working though. Trying to download the drivers for the Transcend reader and flash drive cost me $ 40.00 for a file helper program. Did not help. Had it fixed the concern it would have been OK. Anyway I'll keep it. If only I could find the driver files, as listed earlier, on the Win 7 DVD then I could exatrct them and place them on my hard drive. Regards Peter
    Peter,

If you do end up reinstalling Win 7, please make an image for future reference. With the image, you would have back up to the time the image was done in perhaps 1/2 hour. An image is very low cost insurance to prevent hours of work that may not even work. An image is easy to create and easy to restore.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted, thank you for your help also of course. I will do a drive image once the concern is resolved. Looks like a repair install/upgrade as it is called in Win 7. Mean while I can download the pictures direct from the Cameras rather than the card reader. I have a lot of respect for the Microsoft engineers and programmers but it seams that Win 7 is not yet mature. Regards Peter

Thanks
    If you insert either the original Win 7 installation disk or a System Repair Disk you created, then reboot. your system will boot from the DVD. Select a repair installation. I do not recall the exact order of screens (you will have to select through the time/date screens). Hopefully the repair installation will fix your problem. Once repaired, I would clean up the system before creating the image. Delete all temp files (I would use CCleaner for this chore). Delete all temp internet files, prefetch data, any temp stuff. Windows logs that are shown in CCleaner are also good choices. I would then also run AM scans with whatever apps you normally use. Once everything is cleaned and scanned, run a defrag ( I use Auslogics Disk defragmentor for this chore. Much quicker than Win 7 defragmentor.) When all done, create the image. I normally reimage at least once per month based on my usage. That way I do not have as far to go back if I hose my OS. Good luck with the repairs.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted and Clint, I found out that if something is wrong with the OS win 7 64 bit and it will not start anymore ( long story lets not go there ) windows repair start up CD help choices will not find external ESata hard drive back ups. I had to install the external drive into the computer. Then windows found my back up on that drive and restored my system. Now all is well. The other thing is that after windows start up repair can not fix the problem with windows ( i uninstalled C:\Windows\ system32\drivers driver.sys ) the options normally available when booting using F8 you now only have 2 choices 1. Windows start up repair and 2. start Windows normally. All the other ones are no longer listed like safe mode , Command prompt etc. Very interesting and not helpful anymore.
    The back up restored the machine to prior all my card reader problems . They now work as before. So I believe, based on what happened to me, that external drive back ups for the OS will not help you to fix the box. Regards Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast