New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was searching for an article in a newspaper. I found the article and while I was reading, I got a popup about winning a contest. I recognized the popup for what it was and deleted it. I noticed the next day that Firefox seemed to be acting weird. If I did a search and clicked on the search results, Firefox would take me to related subject but not what I had clicked on. I could copy and past the URL into Firefox and it worked as it should. I realize that Firefox has been hijacked but am not sure what to do about it. Any help would be appreciated.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It may be one of the dreaded search hijackers.
    Check Add/Remove for unknown search provider software.
    Change the default search engine in FF.
    Run one of the anti malware utilities - HijackThis, Malwarebytes.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Austin View Post
    I was searching for an article in a newspaper. I found the article and while I was reading, I got a popup about winning a contest. I recognized the popup for what it was and deleted it. I noticed the next day that Firefox seemed to be acting weird. If I did a search and clicked on the search results, Firefox would take me to related subject but now what I had clicked on. I could copy and past the URL into Firefox and it worked as it should. I realize that Firefox has been hijacked but am not sure what to do about it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Usually when the fraudulent offers, antivirus, antispyware pop ups come up, the programmer has changed the X in the corner to do the same as clicking OK. Whenever these things arrive, it's best to use the task manager to end the task. CTRL+ALT+Delete, Open task manager and stop the pop up here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. I ran Malwarebytes which found 1 problem on the PC. I tested Firefox and still had the problem. I then did a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials. Not sure what it found since I went to bed before it finished the scan. When I got up this morning, the scan was complete and my computer had been rebooted. I tested firefox and found it working as it should. I looked at Security essentials history but it appears that it must have rebooted prior to writing history since there were no entries.