New Lounger
    Thanks
    As a volunteer for a non profit organization, I'm sorting out an excel spreadsheet into separate worksheets before importing into Access 07. The reason for the different worksheets is the original set up used one large spreadsheet for both individuals, corporations, donations, volunteers, and manipulated to no end in order to provide receipts, etc. Needless to say it was a bit of a mess.

My initial issue (I've not done this before) is how to set up my "members" table in order to print only one mailing label where I have to identify a couple with different family names living at one address which will probably be used to print out individual tax receipts as well.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You have to treat each person as unique even if they have the same address as another person. Anything else is making assumptions that may not be valid.
    If you want to send more than one tax receipt in the one envelope you will need two DB fields, one to indicate a preference to have only one mail item and the other which points to the co-addressee(s) - there may be 3 or 4 people. You need a pointer to all people at the same address, so you may even need an additional table to store the references This is complex and prone to confusion if one person decides to change their preference / move, so it may be best to stick with one person, one envelope.

cheers, Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mkinbc View Post
    As a volunteer for a non profit organization, I'm sorting out an excel spreadsheet into separate worksheets before importing into Access 07. The reason for the different worksheets is the original set up used one large spreadsheet for both individuals, corporations, donations, volunteers, and manipulated to no end in order to provide receipts, etc. Needless to say it was a bit of a mess.

My initial issue (I've not done this before) is how to set up my "members" table in order to print only one mailing label where I have to identify a couple with different family names living at one address which will probably be used to print out individual tax receipts as well.
    This is always a problem. It depends on what you want. Do you want to treat these 2 people as separate for everything except mailing labels? You mentioned tax receipts. Do you want to send 1 tax receipt to John Smith at 123 Elm and then another to Mary Jones at same address? What do you want to show on mailing labels? Just "John Smith", or perhaps both names, or maybe use the phrase "To the Members at" instead of any names.

One choice is to have a "Household" record which contains the address, and the "Member" records for each person (which connect to a Household). But this can get difficult to maintain, and you find you have multiple Households out there with the same Address.

Quite frankly, if you have relatively few situations with 2 people at same address, I'd just create a Member record for each (and the address is part of the Member record). So occasionally you send out 2 mailings to same address; is that so bad? And many times (as with the Tax Receipts) you'd be sending out 2 mailings anyway. Your mailing list will be easier to maintain, so I think the time you will save there will more than offset the extra mailing costs.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you gentlemen,

There are approximately 1500 household groupings with approximately 60 households (so far) consisting of different names and 20 corporate addresses with no individuals named.

I'll try the individual approach after standardizing the data in "Excel" and importing into "Access" and will keep you posted on the result.

I wonder if I should have stayed in the workforce where I could have passed this little project on to the IT department.

Michael

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I wonder if I should have stayed in the workforce where I could have passed this little project on to the IT department.
    And miss the fun of discovery? I think not!

cheers, Paul