New Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow

I have been looking for a replacement for Outlook in Win7. Tried them all . . . Thunderbird, Opera, Eudora, Incredimail, etc.
    I finally found one that meets all my expectations: Sylpheed. I have it installed and was running it alongside Outlook until I was sure it was the one.
    Well, unfortunately, (or fortunately) Sylpheed is portable, and as such, does not have an "installation". Consequently, Sylpheed shows up nowhere in the list of choices for default programs. And Windows 7 won't allow you to browse to select a default program. You can only choose the defaults that M$ pre-selects for you.
    Am I going to have to resort to Registry hacking? I even tried to change the defaults by associating it's extension, and Windows says it's either Outlook or Opera . . . take it or leave it!
    Very frustrating.

Thanks
    Backup your contacts, email, & settings, and simply uninstall Outlook.
    You should easily be able to replace your Outlook shortcuts with Sylpheed.

Sylpheed Configuration

Or choose the "installer" version: Installer version Sylpheed-3.0.2_setup.exe 6.1MB PGP signature
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Boy that was a fast reply! I didn't know there was an install version. That should do it.
    Thanks for the quick response. Bye . . . Bye Outlook!
    BTW: Someone recommended EM Client in another thread. Looks very promising.
    Art

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks like Sylpheed as well as Thunderbird are replacements for Outlook Express, but I need calendar integration. This is Outlook's most important feature including the popup meeting reminders. Outlook Calendar sends emails as reminders, but is a separate program. Is there a more complete Outlook replacement out there? Outlook features are great - probably Microsoft's best product, but the way it is implemented sucks. It makes no sense to keep all folders in one ginourmous file, that dies when it exceeds 2 GB. Any suggestions?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I ended up going with EM Client as my email choice (free version limited to 2 accounts). Excellent Outlook Express clone with added features such as Calendar, Contacts, Messenger, etc.
    Check it out at http://www.emclient.com/?lang=en .
    Even though it includes a Calendar, which is very nice BTW, I chose to use the free version of Rainlendar as my calendar and reminder available at http://www.rainlendar.net/.
    I like the fact that it is standalone and sits in the gadget area of my screen (pretending to be a gadget )

Art

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The Mozilla website offers the Lightning add-in for Thunderbird. I've been using it for several years and it's at least as good as Outlook without the bloat or most of the vulnerabilities.

Download it and install it into Thunderbird according to the directions and you will have a complete replacement for Outlook.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Caro View Post
    It looks like Sylpheed as well as Thunderbird are replacements for Outlook Express, but I need calendar integration. This is Outlook's most important feature including the popup meeting reminders. Outlook Calendar sends emails as reminders, but is a separate program. Is there a more complete Outlook replacement out there? Outlook features are great - probably Microsoft's best product, but the way it is implemented sucks. It makes no sense to keep all folders in one ginourmous file, that dies when it exceeds 2 GB. Any suggestions?
    The Windows Live Mail client is MS's replacement for Outlook Express and it includes a calendar feature quite like Outlook, with reminders etc.

Ian