Thanks
    If I start up my machine froma cold start, I get the startup screen for about 15 seconds. If I start up from a warm boot, it can take up to 55 seconds.

What the heck could cause that big a differeence?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a guess, but on a reboot (warm boot), the hardware devices are already initialized and thus the drivers might have to reset them, which might take some time. With a cold boot the devices are "clean" and thus reset very quickly. My favorite culprit is the network card, the network stack tends to cause slowups in many different situations.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    Just a guess, but on a reboot (warm boot), the hardware devices are already initialized and thus the drivers might have to reset them, which might take some time. With a cold boot the devices are "clean" and thus reset very quickly. My favorite culprit is the network card, the network stack tends to cause slowups in many different situations.
    I'll give that a look...thanks Peter.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    On the Warm start, when did you start timing it?
    As the first part is doing a shut down to some degree, which should not be included you the time spent.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    On the Warm start, when did you start timing it?
    As the first part is doing a shut down to some degree, which should not be included you the time spent.
    Maybe that's it.

Thanks,
    Chuck

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I sort of assumed that you started timing it when the first BIOS display appeared, or, if your PC is like mine, when you hear the "click" as it goes from power-down mode to power-up mode (or maybe that's my monitor that does the click...)

Thanks
    Peter, I was/am starting at the BIOS display screen. It just seems sort of strange that warm booting, which should levee some drivers etc. in memory, would then take nearly twice as long to set up as cold booting does.

Regards,
    Chuck

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your response to DaveA made me think that you were possibly considering the shutdown time in the reboot time. Anyway, leaving the drivers in memory doesn't help - a reboot will reload all the drivers anyway, the OS will pretend that nothing is in memory and start from scratch. (As an aside, some mainframes have three boot options: one where the machine is shut off and back on so nothing is remembered, one where the machine is left running but the OS starts over from scratch, and one where the OS remains in memory but it reinitializes itself in which case it might retain some of the drivers. Windows and Linux support only the first two boot options.) It has to be the reinitialization of the hardware that is holding things up.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Hardware reinitialization has always been problematic on a warm boot. It has generally improved over time but there does not seem to be any consistency between machines on this point. When things get down to the hardware level if as certain device is waiting for a response it can take a significant amount of time to reinitialize the device. This can be affected by what programs you've run recently, what programs are running when you initiate the reboot, what devices you've used and in what order. This is really, really difficult to pin down.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Peter, as to your wondering, no, I am not counting shutdown time in the sequence. I don't start counting until the opening screen shows up.

Joe, you are sure right about that -- hardware always seems to get the better of me if there's a problem. Ah well...

Thanks guys...

Chuck