Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 3 laptops all connected to a 2WIRE (2701HGV-E Gateway) ADSL broadband modem connection in a Home/Office environment.
    Each PC has a different OS (XP Professional, Vista Home Premium, & Home Premium). All the PC's are connected to the 2Wire via a 5-port switch (not intelligent, simply a hub). The switch and the printer are directly connected to the 2Wire. All have Wireless capability. The XP is mostly unused and is thus off most off the time.

All was great until last Monday (and I have absolutely no idea why it started, i.e. what changed), when network connectivity became a complete nightmare. After much struggling with a mixed situation of Internet/lno internet access, local only connections, including being able to print or not, irrespective of whether connected via wireless or LAN cable and getting the ISP out (he left a very confused lad), my partner and I have discovered that if she starts up her Windows 7 PC connected to the LAN first (!!!) and then I start up my Vista PC, everything works as it should!

If either of our machines goes to sleep due to inactivity or the lid is closed, then we both have to restart the PC's in the order mentioned. If we start them in the reverse order, I (on Vista) get full connection, i.e. both Internet and the ability to print and she gets only the ability to print or nothing, the network centre showing that she has Local only for both IPv4 and IPv6, her connection shows as Public with no option to change it to the Home or Work setting.

Any clues/suggesting/spells? Thanks.
    Brian

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Pocock View Post
    I have 3 laptops all connected to a 2WIRE (2701HGV-E Gateway) ADSL broadband modem connection in a Home/Office environment.

All was great until last Monday (and I have absolutely no idea why it started, i.e. what changed), when network connectivity became a complete nightmare.

Any clues/suggesting/spells? Thanks.
    Brian
    Have you turned the 2WIRE router off and on again ?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Brian,

I think your problem is the same as this thread. Unfortunately we have been unable to get that one figured out either. I have spent some hours with the problem you describe and have not figured out exactly what causes it. I have got it to finally work in most cases by turning off IPV6, Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver and Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder. This does disable "homegroup" and "network map".

If you wish to test the above workaround, go into 'Network and Sharing Center" and Click on "Local Area Connection" under "Connect or disconnect". Go to "Properties" and the "Networking" tab.
    Uncheck the items listed above.

On the one that I couldn't make work, I finally had to replace the router

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might also check out this thread..

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-...et-access.html

Lounger
    Thanks
    @gfamily - thanks, I have turned the 2Wire on and off a few times - and in fact the ISP replaced it and the problem persists.

@mercyh - thanks also - I have read through all the threads and so far only rebooting helps.
    ipconfig /renew does nothing, SSID broadcast is switched on
    I have unchecked IPv6 and the others to no avail
    I have tried entering a fixed IP address with Subnet, but still I need to reboot.
    and yet, while the wired connection is connected and not seeing the internet, I switch on wireless and VOILA! I am connected to the internet (and I can type this post!)

So far, my conclusion is - don't try to fix it ('cos it cannot be fixed), but live with the constant rebooting - scream! :-(

Perhaps I need to create a new domain and move all the computers onto that - I will try that on the weekend - I have to get some work done sometime!
    Thanks so far
    Brian

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Brian,

I see that you saw the solution on the other thread. There are a couple of ways to test this.

When you have the problem with no connection to the internet, open a command prompt. (type CMD in the search box and hit enter)

from the c: prompt first type
    Code:
    ping www.google.com
    . If you get a return the problem is not with your network, it is a browser issue.

IF the above fails (it will give four "request timed out" responses) type
    Code:
    ping 8.8.8.8
    this is the ip address of one of google's public dns servers. If this is successful after the first ping failed, the problem is almost sure to be DNS issues.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Brian,

I ran into this issue again last evening on a network where I am administrator for a small business. This network is 1-xp desktop, 1 Win7 laptop and 1 Win7 desktop. The Win7 desktop is the newest machine and about 4 days after install it began losing connection intermittently. Last night I went in and turned off the three items I recommended above. We had network connection but the network Icons all showed errors. I then went back in and turned on all but IPV6. It has been stable so far . I am running the following program on the machine.

http://www.colasoft.com/ping_tool/

We are running continuous pings on the following three targets:

Internet gateway (this is his router's internal IP address, in his case 192.168.1.1) this tells us if we maintain connection to the local network.

www.google.com
    (this target tells us if we have connection from the network to the internet and internet DNS is working properly. If this works and a browser does not load www.google.com we know the problem is with the browser) This is not quite a true test as once his computer has resolved DNS for www.google.com, the dns system could quit working properly and we still might be able to ping the domain with information stored in his local cache.

8.8.8.8 (this target tells us if we have connection to the internet but DNS is not resolving correctly.)

I have instructed him to leave the ping tool run on his taskbar and if he loses connection, he should call me and we can go over what we see.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am still at the "SCREAM!!!" stage.
    I have now disconnected the switch and now having wired connections for only the 2 PC's, HP printer and a Buffalo 2 TB network storage box connected to the 4 ports of the 2Wire 2701 Broadband ADSL.
    Even so, the situation persists.
    If the HP Compaq Presario CQ45 with Vista Home Premium OS (#1) connects to the 2Wire via cable first, then it gets full Internet and local access.
    However, the other PC with Windows 7 Home Premium (#2) can get no better than "local" on its wired connection, i.e. no Internet.
    If #2 connects on cable first, it can get full Internet connection and so can #1, but only if started 2nd.
    If there is any hiccup with #2, in order to reconnect it, the cable to #1 must be disconnected. After #2 has reconnected (on cable), #1 can be reconnected by activating the wireless connection.
    If #2 is switched on after #1 starts on wireless, it can only get "local" access,
    Go figure!
    I would like to reset the Vista machine to its default network status - something must have changed somewhere where it becomes the "master" when connected by cable and no other PC's, not even the XP machine, can get Internet when linked by cable at the same time - very strange indeed - it is a level of networking I don't pretend to understand. It used to work perfectly - sigh!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sounds a little like you have multiple DHCP servers running - the router should be the only DHCP server.
    Can you run this DOS command on each machine when they work and when they don't, then post the results?
    Code:
    ipconfig /all
    cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    HI Paul
    I am attaching 4 word files showing the ipconfig /all - the 1st name indicates on which PC the ipconfig /all was captured
    * Vista PC connected after Windows7 PC - full internet/network access on both
    * Vista PC connected on wireless, Windows 7 PC connected on cable - full internet/network access on both
    * Windows 7 PC connected before Vista PC - full internet/network access on both
    * Windows 7 PC connected after Vista PC - no full internet/network access on W7 PC (full internet/network access on Vista PC)
    Let me know if you need more.
    Thanks in advance

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Brian,

I only have Word 2000 and it won't read the files. Would you mind re-posting just the text?
    Use the Code tags on the site - highlight the text you want to include in the code tags, then click on the second last icon above the edit window. Click on "switch to full editor" below to preview the post.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am going to post the information from the three files that I consider pertinent.

From the first file:

Code:
    C:\Users\Brian_2>ipconfig /all
    Windows IP Configuration
       Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Brian-HP-PC
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net
    Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : gateway.2wire.net
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-5D-11-F3-D4
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1d73:b981:9589:5877%13(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 11 July, 2010 19:15:30
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 18 July, 2010 19:15:34
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 285221213
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-10-37-E8-84-00-21-5D-11-F3-D4
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
    From the third file:

Code:
    C:\Users\SueG>ipconfig /all
    Windows IP Configuration
       Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hp-PC
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : localdomain
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : localdomain
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-5A-B6-92-94-6E
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5863:27e1:32b2:f5b2%11(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.193.130(Preferred)
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 11 July, 2010 8:47:46 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 11 July, 2010 9:17:46 PM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.193.254
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234890786
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-C4-55-B8-70-5A-B6-92-94-6E
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.193.1
    From the fourth file:

Code:
    C:\Users\SueG>ipconfig /all
    Windows IP Configuration
       Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hp-PC
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : gateway.2wire.net
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-5A-B6-92-94-6E
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5863:27e1:32b2:f5b2%11(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.6(Preferred)
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 11 July, 2010 9:06:02 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 18 July, 2010 9:06:02 PM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234890786
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-C4-55-B8-70-5A-B6-92-94-6E
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    I would suspect that Internet Connection Sharing has been turned on on the Vista machine. Go into change adapter settings from Network and Sharing center and check the SHARING tab for each of your adapters.

see the following link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ection-Sharing

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One other thing that is really strange

Why, if you are using DHCP with no reserved addresses, would the vista get 192.168.1.64 and the win7 gets 192.168.1.6? You state you only have three machines, can you give a list of ALL the devices on your network?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Also note that both 3rd and 4th machine have the same "Host name", they need to be different.

And there is no "Default Gateway" listed for 3rd machine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    3rd and 4th are the same machine, but 3rd has no network because the IP address is a rather odd 192.168.193.130.
    The correct DHCP Server is 192.168.1.254, which I assume is your router.
    And what mercyh said!

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast