Lounger
    Thanks
    When I select Windows Update - after getting the message that updates are available- the download does not start, in spite of the fact that I can access any other web pages. It just hangs and makes no attempt to get going.

I do not use a proxy.

Thanks
    Can you use the Windows Update Center to download your updates? Did you buy a PC with Win 7 loaded or did you upgrade yourself? If you upgradedd yourself, did you do an In Place Upgrade or a Clean Install (Custom Install)?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is this happen when you go up to see what is there AFTER a message was posted in the System tray that you have updates?

If so, then you just need to wait, because Windows Update will be running in the background. I see this a lot.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Could also be a piece of Malware causing the issue. Had someone bring me a laptop the other day, even if you typed windowsupdate into a Google Search the page wouldn't load. Laptop was infected with a root kit virus, which took a few different tools to squash.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This may sound silly, but you didn't say whether or not you actually clicked the button to start the update. It won't start by itself.

If you do click the button, do you get any kind of status message, or is it completely unresponsive?

What are your settings for Windows Update?

I used to have a problem like this regularly on my XP system with the old Microsoft Update, but I haven't had it on Vista or 7 with Windows Update.