New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have my contact list set up to display detailed address cards. The issue that when I use the arrow keys to scroll forward through all the contacts (for example) whose last name starts with "G", at some point Outlook locks up, and the horizontal scroll bar is "flickering." The only way to get out of it is kill Outlook in Task Manager, and restart. Then when I go to the contacts folder, if I go to the "H" section, I can scroll backwards through the "G's." I've had it happen in other sections of the alphabet, so I don't think it's just one particular contact that is faulty (although I haven't kept track of exactly what point it happens).

I've had this issue more than once on both my work computer (Office 2003 on xp home) and home computer (Vista Business running office 2007), but I typically import and export my contacts from my desktop work computer to my home laptop.

Any suggestions or ideas? I'm using the "stand alone" version of outlook, not a server or network version.

Thanks much for your help!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings mrsachemtiger

I can readily think of two things that might be causing this issue for you:

1.) In the G series of contacts, you have an individual (or group) of contacts that contain a large amount of data. Examples would be a 25Mb spreadsheet file in the notes section, or a 12Mb contact picture. Either of these would cause your scrolling to be delayed (or as is the case in your situation: halted) while Outlook attempts to process the extra files. Additionally, the contacts may contain a shortcut pointing to an external file, but that file is missing, thus causing a possible timeout scenario.

2.) There is a corrupt contact (or group of contacts). This data corruption may be causing Outlook to lock-up hard while accessing those particular contacts. The best way to check for this possibility is to go to Outlook > Tools > Diagnose & Repair. Unfortunately, this option can change locations depending on which version of Outlook you are using, so you may need to look around to find this option.

Please let us know if you continue to experience problems after checking out these two possibilities!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I am not mrsachemtiger, but after reading your response, since I have a similar problem, I have been looking for Outlook/Tools/Diagnose repair and I cannot find it.
    Could you supply some more detailed information about your suggestion?

Thank you
    Regards,
    Jean-Pierre.+-

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Pierre View Post
    I have been looking for Outlook/Tools/Diagnose repair and I cannot find it.
    Which version of Outlook do you have? In 2003, it's on the Help menu as "Detect and Repair..."

You also can run Office's diagnose and repair function from the Office installer. You may need to have your CDs handy.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsachemtiger View Post
    .. when I use the arrow keys to scroll forward through all the contacts (for example) whose last name starts with "G", at some point Outlook locks up
    Have you run scanpst.exe on your PST?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS