Thread: Drive Mappings

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a couple of external HDD's connected to my computer.

I use a Seagate Expansions 500gb for music and photographs. This is mapped as I:
    I also use a Maxtor OneTouch 750gb for backups. This is mapped as H:

My backup scripts run overnight to backup changed files to H:

A couple of times over the past two weeks the backup has failed because it cannot find the H: drive. On inspection I've noticed that the mapping changed to F:. On the day before both the occasions in question I think I had rebooted the machine but I've also rebooted several times other than that without the mapping changing.

I first fixed the mapping to H: about 18 months ago and until two weeks ago it had never changed. After the first mapping change I reassigned it to H: by doing the following:
    - Control Panel Administrative Tools
    - Computer Management
    - Storage
    - Disk Management (Local)
    - Right click on the Maxtor drive you want to map and select Change Drive Letter and Paths
    - Select Change and amend to "H"

The mappings on the I: drive have not been affected.

Has anyone any idea what is going on and how to stop it?

O/S is XP SP3, Hardware is Dell Latitude E6400.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I never rely on drive mapping. I found that it is more dangerous doing it to a external USB drive. One can NOT control the drive letter of a USB drive, as it MAY change on every restart based on what other USB devices that are or not connected.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you should try keeping the drive letters closer to the defaults (Z, Y, X) so there is less chance of the letter being changed for any reason.

Or as mentioned, there really isn't a good reason (that I know of) for mapping local drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    I think you should try keeping the drive letters closer to the defaults (Z, Y, X) so there is less chance of the letter being changed for any reason.

Or as mentioned, there really isn't a good reason (that I know of) for mapping local drives.
    If I read post #1 on this thread, it looks like the OP is talking about drive ASSIGNMENTS instead of drive mapping. (at least the procedure outlined is to assign a drive letter)

The question then becomes "How do I make a USB external drive maintain the same drive letter?

I have never had the problem of a USB drive changing it's assigned letter once I had specially assigned one in disk management provided I gave it a high enough letter that I would NEVER have so many devices attached that the letter I had assigned would already be used when I plugged the USB in.

I would have a few questions.

1> Do you always use the "safely remove hardware wizard" to eject the drive before removal?

2> When you look in "my computer" or "disk management" after you have the incorrect F: assignment, do you show a drive H: "ghost"?

3> Is there a specific set of events that create this situation such as sleep, a crash, a reboot with both usb drives plugged in, etc?

@Byron
    If I am not understanding this assignment/map issue, do you have a way to access a usb drive that does not have a drive letter assignment? In other words are you saying a local USB drive does need to be "mapped" (as in map network drive) or are you saying it does not have to have a drive letter assigned at all?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Regarding the general question of terminology maybe "mapping" was the incorrect term. I am talking solely about external USB drives which are assigned a drive letter when you connect them to my PC. I want it to use the same drive letters all the time so that other software (Backup software, iTunes, Lightroom) can always find its target location or its data which is too big to keep on my main drives.

To answer mercyh's specific questions:

1> Do you always use the "safely remove hardware wizard" to eject the drive before removal?

Yes - religiously. If Windows tells me it cannot be stopped I'll take the system down before disconnecting.

2> When you look in "my computer" or "disk management" after you have the incorrect F: assignment, do you show a drive H: "ghost"?

No there was no ghost H: drive. However when the Maxtor is assigned correctly it shows "OneTouch4 (H" in Windows Explorer. When it had been assigned to F: it had a more generic title - cannot remember exactly what it was. Thinking about it could the problem be some sort of timeout ie Windows knew the drive was there but gave up trying to identify it so just gave it the first free letter?

3> Is there a specific set of events that create this situation such as sleep, a crash, a reboot with both usb drives plugged in, etc?

I've not noticed anything specific - it's happened twice in 18 months - though both occasions have been in the last 2 weeks. For a while I thought it might be related to connecting an iShuffle to the system (which I've had for 6 months) but have been able to discount that. In fact the last time this happened, having set it back to H: I rebooted straight away and it went back to F:. I think I then put it back to F:, took the PC down, disconnected drives, rebooted, reconnected drives and it stayed at H: and has stayed there since.

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding the general question of terminology maybe "mapping" was the incorrect term.
    I don't know that the terminology is "incorrect" but I "think" the assumption was the "map network drive" sense of the word.

No there was no ghost H: drive. However when the Maxtor is assigned correctly it shows "OneTouch4 (H" in Windows Explorer. When it had been assigned to F: it had a more generic title - cannot remember exactly what it was. Thinking about it could the problem be some sort of timeout ie Windows knew the drive was there but gave up trying to identify it so just gave it the first free letter?
    That sounds like a very logical explanation to me. I wonder if drive diagnostics would show that the drive is getting flaky. It could also be a usb cable or port.......

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding the general question of terminology maybe "mapping" was the incorrect term.
    If you look uner Tools in any explorer window it has the option to "Map network drive..." so yes, it is the exact term/description for something else.
    In the case of attached USB drives that I don't want to change, I give them a mid-range drive letter assignment, say in the J-O range. Always leave room for a letter or two to come and go between.