Thread: MSE Upgrade

Thanks
    MS has released an upgrade to MSE, version 1.0.1963.0. With the MSE window open, click on the down arrow by help, then choose Upgrade Microsoft Security Essentials.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    MS has released an upgrade to MSE, version 1.0.1963.0. With the MSE window open, click on the down arrow by help, then choose Upgrade Microsoft Security Essentials.
    Has anyone encountered any problems with this update? I updated my Windows 7 netbook last night, and soon after that I tried to set up an account on the netbook for my husband and it failed to work (I posted a message asking about this in the Windows 7 section of the Lounge before I thought about the possible connection with the MSE update). Then, when I tried to do something else, possibly log out (but I don't really remember), I got two error messages. One was headed Explorer.exe and said simply "There was a problem sending the command to the program." The other message reported the same thing but also carried a header that said ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0. It's possible that all the zeros are upper-case Os, I couldn't tell. Is this a registry key?

I haven't turned on my netbook this morning, but I'm puzzled and concerned about this, and since I've never had problems like this with the netbook before and since they started after I installed the MSE update, I'm wondering whether there's a connection.

I'd welcome any information or advice.

P.S. I posted this message a short time ago, but when I went back to check just now I found it under my message on the Windows 7 section. That's not where it belongs, I think. I'm asking very specifically about a possible problem with the new MSE update that Ted Myers has mentioned. I don't know whether somehow I accidentally posted the message there or whether someone moved it without any indication of having done so. I really think it belongs here. These may be two separate issues: the update and my problems creating an account on Windows 7 for my husband. The messages should appear in the appropriate sections. Perhaps I'll add a note to the Windows 7 post suggesting the possibility that MSE is involved, but I think the message I'm writing now should stay in the Security section as a response to Ted Myers' message. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdiva View Post
    P.S. I posted this message a short time ago, but when I went back to check just now I found it under my message on the Windows 7 section. That's not where it belongs, I think. I'm asking very specifically about a possible problem with the new MSE update that Ted Myers has mentioned. I don't know whether somehow I accidentally posted the message there or whether someone moved it without any indication of having done so. I really think it belongs here. These may be two separate issues: the update and my problems creating an account on Windows 7 for my husband. The messages should appear in the appropriate sections. Perhaps I'll add a note to the Windows 7 post suggesting the possibility that MSE is involved, but I think the message I'm writing now should stay in the Security section as a response to Ted Myers' message. Thanks.
    I moved that post because of the description of the problems. If you have two different problems then please do not mix problems together.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanks, Joe, for the explanation. The trouble is that I don't know whether I have one problem or two. When I posted the message in the Windows 7 section last night, it hadn't occurred to me that there was a connection between the issue I was raising and the fact that I had just installed the MSE update. When I came to the Lounge this morning to see whether there had been any responses, I saw Ted's message under Security and wondered whether that was the cause of the problem I was having. I don't know whether it is, or whether other people have encountered similar problems creating additional accounts in Windows 7. I suspect that if I hadn't mentioned my Windows 7 post, you wouldn't have moved this one, but I mentioned it just in case anyone wanted more information about what I had just said. Would you prefer that I remove the parenthetical mention of the Windows 7 post? I don't really think that's mixing the problems, but if you think so, I'll be happy to remove the sentence in parentheses.

I should add that after seeing that my posting about the MSE update had been moved as a "reply" to my Windows 7 post, I added a bit to that post, since I thought what I was being told is that the MSE problem was relevant to my Windows 7.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanks for the explanation. I think you can leave it alone for now. If anyone reads all the posts they'll figure it out.

Try uninstalling MSE and reinstalling MSE. Then see if you can login to the other account.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanks very much, Joe, for your understanding and for the suggestion. I'll give the reinstall a try and report back.

Thanks
    Well, I uninstalled MSE with Revo, then downloaded and reinstalled a new copy. Ran a quick MSE scan. All was well. But the problem with accessing the second account remains. However, the reinstall does seem to have helped with some of the other quirks I was seeing. And Dave in the Windows 7 section has now responded with some suggestions re the second account problem, which may indeed have nothing to do with the upgrade. I'll give them a try and report back in the Windows 7 section.

In sum, I do think there may have been something not right about the MSE upgrade, but it may not have been the cause of what I considered my most pressing problem, the second account.

Thanks again, Joe, for your help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Glad that MSE seems OK. Now over to the Win7 side.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdiva View Post
    Has anyone encountered any problems with this update? I updated my Windows 7 netbook last night, and soon after that I tried to set up an account on the netbook for my husband and it failed to work (I posted a message asking about this in the Windows 7 section of the Lounge before I thought about the possible connection with the MSE update). Then, when I tried to do something else, possibly log out (but I don't really remember), I got two error messages. One was headed Explorer.exe and said simply "There was a problem sending the command to the program." The other message reported the same thing but also carried a header that said ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0. It's possible that all the zeros are upper-case Os, I couldn't tell. Is this a registry key?

I haven't turned on my netbook this morning, but I'm puzzled and concerned about this, and since I've never had problems like this with the netbook before and since they started after I installed the MSE update, I'm wondering whether there's a connection.

I'd welcome any information or advice.
    No problems at all on both of our laptops with this update. Everything working properly.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I'm glad your problems were resolved, cyberdiva.

Ted, I didn't have any problems, but I have seen a couple people who had problems with the MSE version update. One was resolved with a system restore to prior to the update followed by a manual update to the new version. I'm waiting to hear back from the second person (hoping that the Microsoft Fix it for You receive a "0x80070002" or "0x80070003" error code after you download an update from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or from Windows Server Update Services solves the problem).

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!
    Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ ~ ~ May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too had an installation problem with this MSE upgrade (on Win 7 64). I let Win Update download and create a restore point, but it hung up during installation. Could enable Task Manager but it too would hang and not function. Eventually clicked Shut-Down and let that run for about 30 minutes with no success. Finally did a power-off and a safe boot and then a system restore to the automatic restore point just before the install. Could find no problems, so tried another install (Win Update showed already downloaded this time). No install problems. All seems to be functioning properly a day later, and can log into other accounts, etc. Also later used Win Update to download and install it on my wife's PC (Win 7 32) with no problems there. Who knows????