Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had my hands full on this latest build. It was my first attempt at water cooling. The parts are Asus P7P55D-E Dlx, I7-860, 4Gb 1600, 1Tb SATA.
    I started with 8Gb of Ram but could never get it stable. I have reloaded the OS several times. Because of that I am not sure when this problem started.

If I start the computer from off it goes through the boot sequence and when Windows loads I get a BSD. The message is never the same. No matter how many times I reboot still BSD. If I turn off the computer before the BIOS screen clears then start it again it will start no problem. It runs stable and I can reboot all day with no BSD. I have update the BIOS. I don't have any idea where to go from here.

Thanks, Ray

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray LB View Post
    I have had my hands full on this latest build. It was my first attempt at water cooling. The parts are Asus P7P55D-E Dlx, I7-860, 4Gb 1600, 1Tb SATA.
    I started with 8Gb of Ram but could never get it stable. I have reloaded the OS several times. Because of that I am not sure when this problem started.

If I start the computer from off it goes through the boot sequence and when Windows loads I get a BSD. The message is never the same. No matter how many times I reboot still BSD. If I turn off the computer before the BIOS screen clears then start it again it will start no problem. It runs stable and I can reboot all day with no BSD. I have update the BIOS. I don't have any idea where to go from here.

Thanks, Ray

Hi Ray and welcome

We need the DMP file crated when the compter BSOD. It is usually located in C:\windows\minidump. If it isnt there you can search *.DMP. when you find it, zip it and upload it to us for analysis.

Let us know if you need help

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Thanks
    Interesting! I have the same h/w setup, (with Windows 7 - 32bit) and had no BSDs at all--UNTIL I updated the BIOS. I then experienced intermittent BSDs under various circumstances with no "common thread" to assist with diagnosing the problem. Is the updated BIOS the cause?
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @ Peter S, This BSOD only happens on a cold boot. The version I am currently running is 7.17.06.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Thanks. I am currently away from my windows 7 PC but will check version when I get back.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    According to the minidump, the pci.sys driver caused the BSOD. You might try downloading the latest video driver from the video card manufacturer's web site.

If pci.sys is corrupt, then running sfc /scannow (system file checker) in the command prompt window might replace it with a fresh copy.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Loaded the latest Catalyst driver 10.6 but it still BSOD this morning. There was no .dmp file in the folder though. Tried the System File Checker but it says I need to be an administrator running a console session. The only way I know to sign on as administrator is in safe mode. Is there another way? and a console session, is that the same as command line?

As I test this more it looks like once I get a successful Windows start I can turn off the computer and it will start up OK. I will have to try and vary the amount of time between starts. It is possible this only happens when it is literally cold booting.

I found a new BIOS version but I don't want to add too many variables to the process. If you think it makes sense to update I will.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was able to reboot without any problem after 4 hours. So I update the VIA sound driver and it was still ok after another 4 hours shut down. When I started up this morning there was another BSOD. It gave me the following dump file. One odd thing with this crash it only showed up on my primary screen. Normally I get it on both monitors. Thanks for the help, Ray
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Greetings. My random BSODs (see my earlier post above) must have been due to factors other than those affecting you. I noticed that the BSOD seemed to only occur during periods when Microsoft Outlook 2007 was open (?). I took the necessary measures and un-installed and then re-installed Outlook. There have been no further BSODs since then. I have also just found and insatlled a new BIOS version. Still no BSODs (I hope it stays this way!)

Thanks
    ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe
    There is no mention of you specifying whether or not your using the 6Gb/s or 3Gb/s SATA ports...
    I noticed that your board has 2 6Gb/s SATA ports, is your 1 TB drive also 6Gb/s compatible, or are you using the 3Gb/s ports?
    If your running a 3Gb/s hard drive in the 6Gb/s SATA port, there will be issues. If your not using a SATA 6Gb/s compatible drive, then you will need to disable the 6Gb/s SATA in the bios.

This board should have absolutely no problems whatsoever with running 8 GBs of RAM at at least 1333MHz. [rock solid]
    Have you reconfirmed your memory compatability? Have you run Memtest86 from a boot disk to check for errors?
    Have you reconfirmed your timings?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @Peter S, Good to hear you are squared away. Good luck

There is no mention of you specifying whether or not your using the 6Gb/s or 3Gb/s SATA ports...
    I noticed that your board has 2 6Gb/s SATA ports, is your 1 TB drive also 6Gb/s compatible, or are you using the 3Gb/s ports?
    If your running a 3Gb/s hard drive in the 6Gb/s SATA port, there will be issues. If your not using a SATA 6Gb/s compatible drive, then you will need to disable the 6Gb/s SATA in the bios.
    I am not using the 6Gb/s ports. The ASUS manual did not say to disable the Marvel controller if you were not using it. I will try that, but the system runs fine other than that first start of the morning.

This board should have absolutely no problems whatsoever with running 8 GBs of RAM at at least 1333MHz. [rock solid]
    Have you reconfirmed your memory compatability? Have you run Memtest86 from a boot disk to check for errors?
    Have you reconfirmed your timings?
    OCZ confirmed compatibility with this board and I did run Memtest86 extensively because I did have a bad stick in the beginning. As far as I know all of the BIOS settings match the RAM settings. Since I have not been rock solid I have not started any overclocking. I ran 8Gbs for about a month and it was just a little unstable. No major problems, random application crashes, mostly. With only 4Gbs it has run without a hitch.

After 6 hours off the system started up fine. It really is after 8 hours or more that it will BSOD if I don't power it off mid start.

Thanks
    What does Asus tech support have to say?
    This sounds like a problem with the board.
    Are you still under warrenty?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Greetings all. Pehaps you could try "whocrashed" sofware to analyse your crash dump? I am told that, while not perfect, it provides a remarkably good chance for identifying the cause(s) of BSODs.
    Once downloaded and installed, you run it in windows Safe mode after rebooting immediately after getting a BSOD.

You can download the free version (version 2.10) at thye following site: http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I updated the BIOS yesterday and this morning it started without any problem. I will see if it continues but since it was so consistent I feel confident that was it. Thanks, Ray

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As I signed out from leaving my last post I blue screened. The dump file pointed to the ntoskrnl.exe (nt+b2410). This has come up in previous dumps as well. Guess I'm not home free. Any Ideas?

Edit; looks like most issues related to ntoskrnl.exe point to memory issues. I will run Memtest86 while I'm at work today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast