Thread: No I'net

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK so I had three XP pcs on my wired local net with the net connected to an ADSL modem via a DLink DI-524 router. Everything worked.

I take one of the pcs (a laptop) on a trip with me and make connections of various good / bad'ness to I'net and email whilst on trip.

On returning the laptop gets reconnected as it was - and now I have the following -
    1. All three systems can ping one another, access data from one another, and access the router from either browser.
    2. The two unmoved systems can still access the I'net / email.
    3. On the laptop I took away, neither browser, nor Core FTP Lite, can access the outside world. The browsers just time out. Core FTP Lite says "The requested name is valid and found in the database, but does not have the correct associated data being resolved for." The FTP settings are identical to those on one of the unmoved pc's. The laptop's ip is the same as it was when it was working. I have changed the ethernet cable between laptop and router, and moved the connections around in the router. Also of course rebooted laptop, router and modem.

Any idea what my trip screwed up?

Peter

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I should add that the router lncludes the 'bad' laptop's ip in it's list of hosts under the DHCP tab, and the expiry date is 5 July with a one week lease time - which implies the lease must have been extended since I returned several days ago. ....

OK OK OK - I just found the DNS server had got changed somehow - do hotel connections do that??!!

If you read this far - sorry to have used your time!
    Peter

Lounger
    Thanks
    You say that "OK OK OK - I just found the DNS server had got changed somehow - do hotel connections do that??!!

Perhaps that is my problem too (my system went haywaire when I got back having used a wireless network while away) - please tell me where is find the DNS server and how do you know what it was or should be (I am obviously rather green in this area)
    Thanks
    Brian

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Brian,
    If you have XP (others will be similar), start - settings - network connection - local area connection - Select Geneal Tab, and select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) which should be checked. then click Properties and the General tab.

Now it gets more difficult because one answer is to check that sections are the same as they were before the problem .... OK, but you should have had instructions from your ISP how to set these ...

If not - give them a call and ask them.... OR use a particular free service with some advantages (goole "Open DNS" for info) select "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Use the following DNS server address" then set the Preferred and alternate DNS servers to

(of course noting down what you changed so you can change back if this is not the problem)

OK all the way out and try connecting again.

If this does not work try some of the things I said I had checked in my first post