Thanks
    I have a Toshiba NB305-N410BL netbook that runs Windows 7 Starter. I had no problem setting up my account, which has administrator status. Today, my husband asked me to set up an account for him. I went into Control Panel, chose User Accounts, and set up a standard account for him and set a password. But when he tried to login, the screen said Welcome, as it does for me, but the Welcome then turned to Logging Off. Nothing he or I did could make it work. I tried changing the password, but that didn't help. I can't imagine what the problem is nor what to do about it. Has anyone else had this problem? I'd welcome some help.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: It has occurred to me that I tried to create the second account soon after I installed a Microsoft Security Essentials update. There are indications that it may have created some problems, but I'm not sure.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Change the account to a Admin and see if it will work, then try changing back to standard.

I have found that it is best to make the account, no password, then log out of your current account and log into the new account. Now that the account is working, add a password using the new account.

If things continue to not work, the I would go into Control Panel and delete the Account AND files. Then reboot the machine. Go in and may a new account with out a password. Try logging in to the new account.

Do NOT use "Switch User" when doing this, LOG OUT and then log in.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Thanks VERY much, Dave, for these suggestions. They sound promising. I'll give them a try and report back.

Thanks
    Hi, Dave. Believe it or not, none of the suggestions you made worked! I first tried setting the account to an Admin account. That worked, but when I changed it back to Standard (from within the second account) and then logged off, I couldn't get back on.

I also tried deleting the account and files, rebooting the machine, and making a new standard account without a password. I was unable to log in. As was the case in all my other unsuccessful attempts, I'd get the word "Welcome," followed seconds later by "Logging Off."

I tried a number of variations of the above, including starting over with a different user name (just in case the old one was stuck in some defective registry entry), but that too didn't work. Nor did suspending my Outpost Pro firewall, nor disabling Microsoft Security Essentials' real-time protection.

Finally, I went back to the one thing that had worked, namely, setting up the account as an Administrator account. I don't think I'll try again to change it back to Standard, since that didn't work when I tried it earlier. I have no idea why I can't set up this second account as a Standard account. It bothers me that something is clearly not right, but I have no idea how to figure out what it is and how to fix it.

Thanks again for your help. Your suggestion to set up the account as an Administrator account has made it possible for my husband and me to share this netbook (which we would take with us when we travel). I'm under the impression that there's more of a security risk when both accounts are Administrator, but I don't think I've got much choice. If you or anyone else have any idea what might be preventing my computer from working with a second account set to Standard, I'd love to know.

Thanks
    cyberdiva, try this:-

1. Set a password for both accounts. Dont reboot.

2. Press WIN + R to get the RUN menu.

3. In the run menu type - 'control userpassword2' NO QUOTES
    The user accounts windows will now open up.

4. Look for the option saying " Users must enter a user name and
    password to use this computer " and uncheck this option and press
    "OK". Both accounts.

5. Now a window will open up asking you to enter the current password you use to log in to Windows 7.
    Enter the password and confirm. Done!.

Now you should be able to log on as normal but without entering a password.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Roderunner, thanks for your suggestion. The problem is that I don't want anyone to be able to login on that computer without providing a password. It's a netbook that I plan to take with me when I travel. There's some danger of its getting lost or stolen. The one thing that would prevent unauthorized people from being able to access everything on the computer is that they wouldn't know the passwords, which are not at all obvious nor composed of real words. On my desktop computer, I'm not so worried about its being lost or stolen (knock on wood ), so I log on without a password. But I definitely want both accounts on the netbook to be password protected.

I should add that, as I explained in my last message to Dave, I finally did succeed in setting up a password protected account for my husband on the netbook, but only by making it an Administrator account. I didn't want to do that, and many people advise against doing that, but I couldn't get the computer to permit him to log in when he had a password protected Standard account. That's not what should happen, but I don't know what's causing the problem.

Anyway, thanks again for your suggestion.

Thanks
    The only additional thing having both accounts set up as Administrators is that both accounts can change system settings for their account and can install software. Do you trust your husband to not do something wrong with the PC? If so the admin account should not be a problem. I agree that having password protection on both accounts is more important in your case. Just leave them both as admin accounts and password protect both. I have never had a problem doing this as long as I trust the person(s) using the PC or monitor their usage.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanks VERY much, Ted, for your helpful response. Yes, I do trust my husband, on and off the PC, so I guess stop worrying about this and start worrying about something else.
    However, if anyone has some insight into why I couldn't set up a Standard password-protected account for him, I'd still be interested in the information.

Again, many thanks to all who helped.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wonder if this has anything to do with "starter" edition. I wonder if anyone else has starter out here and can give it a test to see if it is in some way limited on how user accounts can be set up?....

Or if somebody has a unit with starter that has an administrator account and a limited account that works correctly, they could maybe chime in and let us know that it actually is possible.

Thanks
    No, mercyh, I don't think the problem lies with Starter. I had another netbook running Windows 7 starter, and I had no problem setting up an account for my husband on that computer. I'm pretty sure it was a standard account. Unfortunately, the first netbook had some serious failings, and I eventually exchanged it for the present one.