Thread: Table Design

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Which would be more efficient?

A table with 2 millon rows and 10 columns, or a table with 36 thousand rows and 61 coulumns?
    Richard

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Pros and cons of both I think. I personally prefer normalised union queries ie the 10 column approach.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.

That is where I was headed, but with that many rows I wanted to get some other views.
    Richard

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aheron View Post
    Which would be more efficient?

A table with 2 millon rows and 10 columns, or a table with 36 thousand rows and 61 coulumns?
    I'm trying to figure out the situation in which this could be a choice. I suppose the 2 million record table is normalized and contains multiple records for each something (person, thing, or whatever), and the 36,000 record table would have only 1 record for each something. Unless you can prove some overwhelming reason to decide otherwise, I'm going to select the normalized version every time.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkLiquorman View Post
    I'm trying to figure out the situation in which this could be a choice. I suppose the 2 million record table is normalized and contains multiple records for each something (person, thing, or whatever), and the 36,000 record table would have only 1 record for each something. Unless you can prove some overwhelming reason to decide otherwise, I'm going to select the normalized version every time.
    I would echo Mark's statement. Always go with normalized and deviate only when forced to do so. You'll have fewer headaches and more flexibility with that approach.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Correct, the 36,000 row table had one row for a Store with 52 columns of weekly sales data.
    The 1millon plus row table had one row for each Store / Week combination with a column for the sales data.

I typically go for the normalized option as well. Just 1 million rows seemed like a lot, so I wanted to double check with folks that have more experience than I.

Thanks
    Richard