4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm currently running XP Pro SP2. I downloaded the SP3 update from the Microsoft download site (NOT Windows Update), file name WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe.
    When I try to install the update, I get the following error message:

"Service Pack 3 Setup Error. Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic Service is running on this computer."

It is. I still get the message. What do I do now?

Lounger
    Thanks
    registered Linux user:476595

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your response.

I followed the link in the article you recommended to KB822798, where I found the error message described, along with some steps to resolve the problem.

I started with the first recommended solution, which states:

"Method 1: Rename the Edb.log file.

Rename the Edb.log file, and then try to install the program again. To rename the Edb.log file, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then OK.

Note On a Windows Vista-based computer, click Start, type cmd in the Start Search text box, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
    2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2\Edb.log *.tst"

After typing the rename command at the command prompt, I get the following message:

"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

I can't figure out what else is using the Edb.log file.

I finally got frustrated trying to fix the installation error message that SP3 was giving me, so I booted into safe mode and installed SP3 rom there. That turned out to be a disaster!

Before installing, I created a restore point. I also did a complete disk backup using Seagate Disk Wizard (that's basically Acronis, modified to work only with Seagate drives) available free from Seagate.

The installation from safe mode went smoothly - no error messages. But things went to hell on the reboot; the computer blue-screened and froze,. Several shutdowns and reboots yielded the same results.

Frustrated after an hour of messing with this installation, I booted into Disk Wizard to restore the disk to its original pre-SP3 state. Guess what? The backup didn't work - it wouldn't restore the files to the disk!

I figured after all this messing with the disk, I screwed it up beyond recovery. But as a last desperate effort, I booted into safe mode again, and attempted a system restore using the restore point I'd created earlier. It took about 20 minutes of copying files, during which time I wasn't sure what was going on, or if it was even working. But when it was all done, I had my original system back, no files lost!

Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING could get me to attempt another SP3 installation. I'm still curious about the original error message, and how to fix the problem with the Edb.log file, but SP3 is no longer on my agenda.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Lounger
    Thanks
    wow I am so sorry you had to go through that! I have heard so many horror stories from people trying to install sp3. Those that had an easy go of it just do not understand what a mess it can be for some people. Excellent thinking on creating the restore point and trying to do an image. What a bad time for an image to fail. I hope you find everything is ok with the pc now.
    Happy 4th of July weekend!
    registered Linux user:476595

Thanks
    Ideally, SP-3 should be installed as part of a total clean install. Some program or added driver is
    causing the problem, and frankly, it's not worth investigating.

The Right Way To Install Windows XP

The above article from TweakHound will provide information on and guidance for proper XP SP-3 installation.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Feinstein View Post
    I'm currently running XP Pro SP2. I downloaded the SP3 update from the Microsoft download site (NOT Windows Update), file name WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe.
    When I try to install the update, I get the following error message:

"Service Pack 3 Setup Error. Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic Service is running on this computer."

It is. I still get the message. What do I do now?
    glad to hear it's working now or perhaps maybe you could have search the cryptographic service by typing services.msc in run command if it's really not running