New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been trying to add Comments to my Explorer folders, but have not been able to do it in XP, Vista, or Windows 7. All allow a Comments field in the heading. There were a couple shell extensions in XP that users said worked well, but these were not updated to work in Win 7.

To add Comments to a file, you right-click the file name and open the Properties dialog box and select the Detail tab. However, folders don't have this tab.

I know the capability is there --- in XP, the "Sample Music" subfolder in the "My Music" folder shows the Comment:

"Location: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music"

Using a hex editor, I found the Comment at location "00000170". However, other folders I examined didn't have anything past "000000".

In desperation, I even tried to add ToolTips by modifying the desktop.ini file in a folder:

[.ShellClassInfo]
    InfoTip=This is the Comment

However, this didn't work for me either.

I have a collection of audio books, and many authors have written a series of novels. I would like to look at an author's folder and have their books arranged by date of publication, or at least have the date listed.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure if you looked at this site or tried this detailed method of adding info tip.

Using desktop.ini file

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Monroe View Post
    Not sure if you looked at this site or tried this detailed method of adding info tip.

Using desktop.ini file
    Yes to both (and it is an excellent article), but still the InfoTip did not work. Anyway, InfoTip is not my preferred method of solving this problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The folder " C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music" is a system folder and these comments were put there by the programmers and can not be changed.

I do NOT think you are going to be able to randomly be able to add any comments to any USER defines folder.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    The folder "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music" is a system folder and these comments were put there by the programmers and can not be changed.

I do NOT think you are going to be able to randomly be able to add any comments to any USER defines folder.
    As far as I can tell, the principal difference between a system folder and a regular folder is the CLSID (Windows Class Identifier) attached to it in the registry. Whenever the Windows shell needs to access such a system folder, it uses that CLSID to search through the Windows Registry to find the appropriate .dll or other object.

(I did find a way to create a system folder in "My Computer".) Working backwards, perhaps the "Sample Music" folder could be copied, made into a regular folder, and then the Comment edited by a hex editor. However, I could only copy a Shortcut, and not the folder itself.

As I mentioned in the first post, there are people skilled enough to create a shell extension to add comments to a folder, but their Explorer Extensions don't work in 64 bit Windows 7. My hope is that one of the readers of this forum would either know how to do this themselves, or know of someone who does.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been trying to add Comments to my Explorer folders ...
    Unfortunately, no one on this forum was able to come up with a solution, so I went looking elsewhere, and a gentleman named Ankur Mittal on another forum gave me the info that I needed to find the solution, and in the process I even discovered why the InfoTip didn't work.

This is what I was told to do:

desktop.ini works but first you have to change the icon and then try it.

Here are the steps:

1. Right-click folder and select 'Properties'.
    2. In the Properties dialog box, choose Customize tab, and then 'Change the Icon'.
    3. Click OK.
    4. Now in the Folder and Search options under views tab, uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files' and then click OK.
    5. In the folder, you would find the Desktop.ini file.
    6. Add InfoTip= to the end of the Desktop.ini file.
    7. Type your detailed description immediately after the = sign.
    8. Save and close the file.

You should now see the comments.

And sure enough, the Comments appeared for that folder! But if I copied that desktop.ini to another folder, the Comments would not appear in that new folder.

The desktop.ini created has the "Archive", "Hidden", and "System" attributes set, and I thought initially there was something secret going on there. It turns out that the problem wasn't in desktop.ini, but rather the folder itself. By changing the icon for a folder, the "Read-only" attribute is set for the folder, and only then can you see the Comments.

I am now able to copy the original desktop.ini created by changing the icon for the folder, and edit the copy with my text editor (NoteTab Light, which doesn't change any of the file attributes). I keep the InfoTip information and delete the icon information in the ".ShowClassInfo" section, and delete the "ViewState" section. That copy becomes the basic file that I copy into all my other folders. I edit those copies to add the Comments that I want.

Then I use a little program called "Attribute Changer", which installs as a shell extension, to make the folder "Read-only". (After installation, all you have to do is right-click on any file or folder and select "Change attributes...".)

Now the Comments show up in the folders, and the folders can even by sorted by those Comments.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackSuri For This Useful Post:

aanjos (2013-07-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Great post

I've found you can reset the folder icon to the default and reset the Hide protected operating system files setting and still see the comments. Notepad works just fine for editing the Desktop.ini file.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs