Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running Microsoft Word 2003 and have created a table with a few columns and would like to alphabetize my list by the first column's first letter. When I click on "Sort Ascending" A - Z it does sort correctly but it puts my entire list at the bottom of the page. When I click on "Sort Descending" the list correctly appears on the top in reverse Z - A. How can I get the Sort Ascending to appear at the top of the page? Thank you. Lee Lord

Thanks
    Greetings. Are you sorting a list or a table? I am unable to reproduce your problem when I create a test table: I am able to select the column(s) I wish to sort, choose by which column I wish to sort, and then sort ascending or descending with no resultant problems???
    I have also not been able to reproduce your problem with a numbered list. I am able to sort ascending or descending with no hassles.
    Try creating a small two-column, three-row test table with simple words in each cell: Click on Table - slect - table - sort - sort by column 1 - sort ascending.
    It should work fine. Then do the same but select sort descending. It should work fine.
    If the foregoing works, then your original table is the problem.
    Try selecting the contents of your original table, copy them and then paste them into a newly created blank table - Then sort the way you require it to be sorted.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are there any blank rows in your table? Sometimes table sorts will place blank rows ahead of rows that contain text, which might produce the result you've described.

Just a thought.

Let us know.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Thanks
    A good point, Jan. May be that's it. Hopefully Leslie will confirm this.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for the responses. Yes I have several pages with empty rows. As I stated, when I select Sort A - Z it does so correctly but on the last page. I've done a test with one page only with entries only in a few rows with empty rows following and I followed the same procedure as you mentioned Peter, which I did originally by the way, and the same thing happens. All goes to the end A - Z. Just a note: In "Table AutoFormat" I checked "Heading Rows and First Column" under "Apply special formats to. But when unchecking, which I just did it makes no difference. I don't see any other selection to choose. When I created this Table it was done with 5 rows with Movies Information, Name, (First column), Date, Actors, etc..... Again thanks for the help but I'm still in the same boat. Lee

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I suspect that it is sorting it correctly. "Space" and "null" have a lower values to computers than even the number 1. If the blank rows are at the bottom of the table, select just the rows you want to sort. If the blank rows are interspersed, you can delete the empty rows after the sort.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the input. I have tried all the suggestions but still it sorts Ascending in alphabetical order A - Z but on the last pages. Sorting Decending brings it to the top page but Z - A. As I stated before I did a trial with only 1 page and filled only a few rows leaving the rest blank and did a sort Ascending A - Z and it did the same. Would it be possible that I could send one of you my table and see what I've done incorrectly? It's actually 7 pages with 3 1/2 filled. The text is 9 point within the rows/columns. It's my MOVIES chart of the ones I have accumulated. I'm at a loss. Thanks again. Lee

Thanks
    Sure thing, Leslie. I'll see if I can help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you try Pam's suggestion about selecting only the rows you want to sort before performing the sort? That should produce the desired results.

Let us know.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jan, Yes I tried Pam's suggestion but it didn't work. Same thing occurred.... all entries went to the bottom page sorted ascending A - Z. I must be doing something wrong. I've tried all the suggestion but to no avail. Peter I sent you a pvt msg ...... how can I get the word document table to you? Thanks again guys! Lee

Thanks
    Leslie: You should have received my reply to your Pvt Message. If not. Reply here.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did receive it Peter and responded with the attachment. Thank you SO much!!!! Lee

Thanks
    Can any lessons be reported in this thread after the private exchange? Could be helpful for future reference.

Thanks
    Sure thing jscher. I am just waiting to hear from Leslie if he agrees with my solution.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes Peter your solution worked and thank you very much for your time and effort !!! I responded to your email.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast