Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm getting a new Win 7 PC, and passing along my old Win XP PC to my wife. I'm going from XP SP3 Home to Win 7 Home Premium.
    How can I most painlessly transfer my data and applications from my XP to Win 7? Should I look for 64 bit versions of my applications, or is it unnecessary? Where do I find Win 7 drivers for my printer and scanner? Any other drivers I should worry about?
    Thanks for any information you can provide

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Weingarten View Post
    I'm getting a new Win 7 PC, and passing along my old Win XP PC to my wife. I'm going from XP SP3 Home to Win 7 Home Premium.
    How can I most painlessly transfer my data and applications from my XP to Win 7? Should I look for 64 bit versions of my applications, or is it unnecessary? Where do I find Win 7 drivers for my printer and scanner? Any other drivers I should worry about?
    Thanks for any information you can provide

Alex

Hi and welcome

Was your XP 32bit or 64? If the old was 32bit and you want to install 64 bit (if you computer can run it) you will have to do a format and clean install. that will require re-installing your applications.

You can use the easy transfer wizard to move MOST of you data and settings over, but the best option is to clean install. MS recommends it and most of us do as well. It is a PITA but well worth it.

About your drivers. If you cant find win 7 drivers, vista, and xp drivers can be used if you install them in compatibility mode. To do that right click the installer>properties>compatibility mode>choose OS

Let u s know if you need further assistance with any of this

Ken J
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Thanks
    Alex, First, Welcome to the Lounge.

The first thing I would do is to install a good AV/AM app such as Microsoft Security Essentials, a free, highly rated AV/AM app.

You will have to install all the apps you wish to use. I would check the Windows Compatibility Center for the apps you wish to install. You can use a Belkin Easy Transfer Cable to assist with the data transfer.

I would not transfer user accounts or customizations from XP to Win 7. I like to set these up myself to get the cleanest set up possible. Check out How To Geek for literally hundreds of tips and tricks to customize your Win 7. Another great site is Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Win 7 and the Windows Seven forums.

I would use something like PC Decrapifier to help elliminate all the manufacturer branded trial apps on your new PC. You can also use a great uninstaller like Revo Uninstaller to help uninstall all the garbage new PCs seem to always come with, then an app like CCleaner to clean up all the left overs the uninstalls leave behind.

As far as 64 Bit, 32 Bit apps work just fine with Win 7 64 Bit. In fact, until Adobe Flash comes out with a 64 Bit Flash, use the 32 Bit IE (Win 7 64 Bit has both a 32 Bit and 64 Bit versions of IE). All hardware devices need 64 Bit drivers to work with Win 7 64 Bit. Check the manufacturer's sites for any printers, scanners, etc. you already have to see if they have Win 7 compatible 64 Bit drives. If not some people have had success with Vista 64 Bit drivers.

These links should be a great starting point in your Win 7 fun.

Once you have the system loaded the way you want use an app such as Auslogics Disk Defragmenter to defragment your disk, then IMAGE YOU DISK! This is a very important step in case disaster strikes. More people have problems after they inadvertantly bung up their OS than you can shake a stick at. There are many threads in the Lounge on imaging, this is just one such thread. This is very easy low cost protection that can literally "Save your bacon" when it (you know what it is) hits the fan.

Have fun and good luck with the best OS ever from MS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Johnston View Post
    Alex

Hi and welcome

Was your XP 32bit or 64? If the old was 32bit and you want to install 64 bit (if you computer can run it) you will have to do a format and clean install. that will require re-installing your applications.

You can use the easy transfer wizard to move MOST of you data and settings over, but the best option is to clean install. MS recommends it and most of us do as well. It is a PITA but well worth it.

About your drivers. If you cant find win 7 drivers, vista, and xp drivers can be used if you install them in compatibility mode. To do that right click the installer>properties>compatibility mode>choose OS

Let u s know if you need further assistance with any of this

Ken J
    Alex did mention he is purchasing a new PC, not upgrading an older PC
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, thanks for the tips.
    Ken, I am getting a new PC, and the old XP one works fairly wee, so I don't see the point for a clean install, but thanks anyway.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I;ve gotten my new Win 7 PC and it's been less frustration than I expected. My old Office 2000 CD wouldn't install, in spite of what MS says, but except for one database and phone dialer application that I've been using since the days of WIN 3.1, all other applications seem to be working. I transferred my Firefox and Thunderbird profiles with a minimum of fuss using MozBackup. Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Alex, I suspect that as time goes on you will grow to appreciate Win 7 more and more as I have. Be sure to check out the tip and trick sites I linked to. These will help in setting up your personalized customizations. Once you have everything set up the way you like it be sure to create a System repair disk and an image to recover if you, like most of us, like to play with your system. I have had to reinstall several times because I did something, well lets just say not a smart thing to do, and hosed my OS. You never know when disaster will strike. Enjoy your PC!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted