New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello. My computer a dimension 3000 will not boot up. I get a message error as following:
    "Windows could not start because following file is missing or corrupt system32\drivers\isapnp.sys" I have tried to boot up in safe mode and select the operating system and it takes me back to this same error message. There is no selection to boot from Cd or to repair system on the safe mode page. Every attempt to reboot leads me back to this same error message. Can any one help? Thank you. Xandr

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Go into your BIOS and change the boot order so the CD/DVD is before the disk drive. Re-boot with your XP installation disc in the CD drive and repair you XP installation.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On Dell if you only want to change the boot order for "this current bootup", press F12 as soon as the bios screen flashes on. This will take you into a boot selection menu and you can select the CD/DVD as the boot device. The next time you boot it will boot the sequence that is set in BIOS.

(be sure you have the XP disk in the drive before you shutdown or restart the computer to do the above)

Lounger
    Thanks
    here are the steps should you need them for that error
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;315311
    registered Linux user:476595

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Joe for your quick response.You responded to my question about my XP not booting up, You mentioned I should change the boot order in the BIOS. I need to know how to access the BIOS when all I can do is get to safe mode panel? xandr.mail@gmail.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandr View Post
    Thank you Joe for your quick response.You responded to my question about my XP not booting up, You mentioned I should change the boot order in the BIOS. I need to know how to access the BIOS when all I can do is get to safe mode panel? xandr.mail@gmail.com
    I believe Dell uses the Del key or the F2 key to get into the BIOS. Look for the correct key to be displayed as soon as you push your computer start button. This is well before the OS tries to start. Press the Del (or F2) key repeatedly until you see the BIOS screen. Look for Boot Priority or something similar, and adjust the order to place CD/DVD drive at the head of all others listed. Then place your installation CD in the drive and reboot the machine.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    I believe Dell uses the Del key or the F2 key to get into the BIOS. Look for the correct key to be displayed as soon as you push your computer start button. This is well before the OS tries to start. Press the Del (or F2) key repeatedly until you see the BIOS screen. Look for Boot Priority or something similar, and adjust the order to place CD/DVD drive at the head of all others listed. Then place your installation CD in the drive and reboot the machine.
    Press DEL key to enter BIOS