2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

INSIDER TRICKS

Good reasons not to install 64-bit Office 2010

By Lincoln Spector

Microsoft hid an interesting option on the Office 2010 DVD — a 64-bit version of the company's new suite.

But before you go looking for it, understand why you're better off with the 32-bit version — Microsoft hid Office x64 for a reason.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/07/01/06 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 15:48.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another reason to NOT use Office 2010 64 bit - Windows Mobile Device Center is not compatible. Therefore it is not possible to synchronize a Windows Mobile 6.x phone. Some people have had their phone data deleted when trying to sync. Didn't happen to me. When I tried 64 bit Office 2010, I saw a message that WMDC wasn't compatible when I tried to connect my phone. So I'm back to 32 bit Office.
    Lionel Modra.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm a little puzzled about the comment regarding the ability to run Flash player on Windows7 64 bit.
    I have this version and Flash player will not run in IE8. I get messages from Web sites to the effect that my version of player is incorrect and I should download the correct version from Adobe. When I try this, Adobe tells me that Flash player is currently unsupported for 64 bit browser versions within Windows 7. They say they are working on it and wwill soon have a release. It's six months since I started with this OS but I'm still stuck on this issue.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Barker View Post
    I'm a little puzzled about the comment regarding the ability to run Flash player on Windows7 64 bit.
    I have this version and Flash player will not run in IE8. I get messages from Web sites to the effect that my version of player is incorrect and I should download the correct version from Adobe. When I try this, Adobe tells me that Flash player is currently unsupported for 64 bit browser versions within Windows 7. They say they are working on it and wwill soon have a release. It's six months since I started with this OS but I'm still stuck on this issue.
    A 64-bit operating system comes with 2 versions of IE. You cannot run Flash with the 64-bit version of IE but you can run the Flash player with the 32-bit version of IE. I have Windows 7 64-bit systems and Flash runs fine with the plain IE 8, 32 bit version; if you have an application that invokes IE and the 64-bit version is what opens, then copy the URL into the address field in the 32-bit version. To determine the version you are running, select Help, then About. The IE icon on your desktop or in the Taskbar should invoke the 32-bit version.

Thanks
    @Lionel Modra: By the way, although it's some time since your post, note that Windows Mobile Device Center v6.1 is available in 32-bit and 64-bit downloads for WINDOWS versions including Windows 7. The 64-bit version should surely work with the Microsoft Office 64-bit vesrion???
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.