New Lounger
    Thanks

Automating Word (2002)

Looking to "automate" a fairly complex document and am hoping to provide options to the user to include or not include blocks of text based on their responses. It seems to me that this can be done several different ways: 1) creating autotext entries for the optional text and then pasting them as part of a macro, 2) creating the optional text and hiding it or unhiding it based on user responses as part of a macro, 3) some other method. I'd like to hear what the more knowledgeable users out there recommend as the more robust/efficient method. I expect my document will become fairly sophisticated over time, so would like to choose the more robust/flexible method up front. Thanks in advance for the help!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automating Word (2002)

As a has-been extensive user, and a current troubleshooter, and a little bit of a developer, I like the autotext better.

Unfortunately, some people view hidden text, so if it's being sent electronically--yuk. But if it's internal, I use RED hidden text for instructions, and turn the hidden text on when they open the template and off when they close it.

I created a fill-in-the-blanks template that had alternative options in some places, so I used form fields for those. If you want to be that restrictive, autotext is for use in form fields.

The code builds an extra menu with cute little icons and closes that menu when the file is closed. I'll post it up here if you want, but I need to clean out the confidential info first. Lemme know.

The only thing I didn't use is autotext, which is easy.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Best way is to create a Userform which off users choices and inserts the text for them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Along the lines of the other responses, can you clarify a key point: do you need to present the options to the user for including text only when a new document is created, or do you need this functionality to work in already-created documents?

If it's just needed when creating a new document, then as Howard points out, a userform (that has code behind it for inserting autotexts) is probably the way to go.

If you need the insert text options to be available in an existing document, then other methods may be better. In this case, can you provide more detail as to the nature of the document, how it's laid out, what it is you want the user to be able to do etc.

Gary

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Userforms are just as useful for extant documents as they are for new documents.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful responses; you have given me some good thoughts to pursue. To provide a little more detail. My document consists of a title page, cover letter, and then a fairly substantial amount of analysis. Certain data is entered for the first time on the title page, certain data is entered for the first time in the cover letter, and then the analysis portion references some of that data. In addition, the analysis portion can contain up to three different analysis techniques, each of which has its own "boilerplate."

What I think I'm hearing is that using a UserForm will allow the user to select various options and then I can use a combination of autotext, fields, and macros to replicate certain information, and either include or not include other information. Right now, I'm working on an existing document, but envision creating a tool to create new documents as well.

Again, thanks for all the helpful responses.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Agreed; it all depends on what's needed for that document/user.
    Didn't mean to imply otherwise in my other note.