Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all

I know I am too slow to update my off-line PCs, but anyway... recently I ran Belarc Advisor and got a list of 60+ updates AFTER SP3, which it seems either critical or important. I have downloaded them all, although it was a cumbersome procedure.

Note that my PCs were connected to a non-internet network, I can claim nothing about some of the other PCs (i.e. virus/worm etc).

The problem is that while applying all the 60+ patches I spent more than 2 hours... nearly every time restarting PC.

My question is that: Is it okay to postpone reboot until after all the patches had been applied? OR is there an automatic way to apply all patches without manually: run | next | accept | finish sequence?

A side question: Is it possible to simplify the procedure of downloading many updates at-once without repeating (search | click | download | save | save-as) scenario?

Thanking you in advance.
    [hr]
    Kamran (کامران)
    Islamabad, Pakistan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    try this

Using "WSUS Offline Update", you can update any computer running Microsoft Windows safely, quickly and without an Internet connection.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sybex for your wonderful tip

However, although I was able to download ALL of the updates (excluding service packs; but is this the culprit? see later)

and also successfull in updating one of my w2k systems, but on WinXP-SP3 machine the only success is installation of IE8 (which I do like). After installation of IE8 it says something like "checking ids of updates required" and after some wait it says "No missing update found"

although Belarc Advisor still complaining about 59 missing updates (low from around 70)

Update-Installer still gives me the option of installing WMP-Update and "Terminal Service Client update" but does nothing.

One thing is not clear to me, why it runs the service "Automatic updates" during the process while I don't have Internet connection. And as of my understanding this service is only for online-updates not for offline one?

But the main question is: how to succeed in WinXP-SP3 ?

Note: On my w2k machine the process waited for about an hour before starting to apply updates. Meanwhile task-manager was showing "wuauserv" (i.e. automatic update service) working full-time ?

TIA
    [hr]
    Kamran (کامران)
    Islamabad, Pakistan