4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear loungers,

Is it possible to create a mail where a script runs - as one can in Word? What i need to do is supply a mail or template to a lot of people and the subject and some of the content need to be completed for the mail to be valid so i want the equivalent of an autoexec macro that will run a dialogue box to ask for a customer id & name, to pick a reason for the mail and then a few other data items. This would be used to populate the subject and some of the body, the email address is a constant so can be pre-populated. the user will then add any further comments and send.

I cannot guarantee that all users use word as the editor so can't rely on doing this in a word template. So can I do this sort of thing in Outlook - most users are on 2003? Or can anyone think of an alternative?

many thanks.............. liz

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What drives the need to send the email - a phone call, some condition showing up in an application tracking status, or some external event? If the users always have Outlook open, it could be used. Outlook has the ability to do the sort of thing you describe using VBA and some custom forms, but it seems unlikely that the need would be triggered by an email. In my experience it is often created by some set of circumstances in a database application, so we create the email using Automation of Outlook - of course that should be tempered by the fact that our basic work is creating database applications.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wendel,

You are right it isn't initiated with an email. The situation is that under certain circumstances we need a lot of sales guys to send us information. the likelihood that they will structure stuff well is almost nil so we thought to send them a preformatted email that would help. Part of this, in a perfect world, would be a dialogue that asks them for specific information that we then use to populate the subject and some predefined fields in the email. I can do this in word but don't know how much, if any, is possible in an email

thanks.................................. liz

Thanks
    In an Outlook "Form" you can add custom controls and VBScript. If your users can easily access the form from the server, it could be a useful tool. However, Forms do not always work smoothly (sometimes I get an error "installing" one saved to a Public folder, for example), so I've stopped using them.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We were thinking of sending the email "template" as a file along with other tools that they will be using.... sounds as it that's not possible or reliable?

liz

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lizat View Post
    We were thinking of sending the email "template" as a file along with other tools that they will be using.... sounds as it that's not possible or reliable?
    Templates (.oft files) can be shared as files. Forms need to be embedded in a message, or published to a server; they are harder to share. So your template plan might work. I think you would need to test that messages generated from the template can run scripts (i.e., not blocked by security settings).