Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Super Moderator Deadeye81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,655
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 112 Times in 97 Posts
    This thread is an offshoot of the Windows Secrets Column forum thread about Fred Langa's column titled "Using Task Manager to troubleshoot startup woes 2010-06-24 column". As the BartPE discussion seemed to focus on its functionality in terms of backup and security software as related to Windows 7, I thought it better to move it to a more appropriate forum.

    PE Builder is still based on XP or Windows Server 2003 32 bit editions only, not 64 bit. While Bart's PE will run on a Vista or Windows 7 machine, it is unlikely that there are many of the built in add-on utilities that can be used, particularly on Windows 7 64 bit editions.

    What have you seen or experienced on this issue?
    Deadeye81

    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

  2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

    Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

    Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

    + Get this BONUS — free!

    Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

  3. #2
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    WNY, USA
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Bart's PE Builder is still based on XP or Windows Server 2003 32 bit editions only, not 64 bit. While Bart's PE will run on a Vista or Windows 7 machine, it is unlikely that there are many of the built in add-on utilities that can be used, particularly on Windows 7 64 bit editions.
    Bart's PE is independent of Windows 7, it's a stand alone 32 bit OS and thus it's 32 bit add-on utilities run just fine on 64 bit machines. I have not heard of anyone having difficulties running Bart's PEBuilder utility on 64 bit versions of Windows 7. Some could be running it in Win 7's XP mode, since I don't have a 64 bit machine I can only go by what I hear.

    Ed_P
    Ed_P

  4. #3
    Super Moderator Deadeye81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,655
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 112 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed P View Post
    Bart's PE is independent of Windows 7, it's a stand alone 32 bit OS and thus it's 32 bit add-on utilities run just fine on 64 bit machines. I have not heard of anyone having difficulties running Bart's PEBuilder utility on 64 bit versions of Windows 7. Some could be running it in Win 7's XP mode, since I don't have a 64 bit machine I can only go by what I hear.

    Ed_P
    Hi Ed,

    The only thing I have heard is that it is not fully compatible with 64 bit Editions of Windows. Check out BartPE Builder Home Page where he states "64-Bit - Bart's builder does not support Windows 64-bit editions."

    I was thinking more of antivirus and antimalware apps, rootkit detectors/cleaners, and such, that, in my thinking, should be 64 bit. Such applications, though run from the optical drive, are used to repair and clean 64 bit operating systems.

    Undoubtedly, some have modified BartsPE to work on 64 bit Windows (a search on the web turns up some interesting things). Since Bart says his system does not support 64-bit editions, I would be reluctant to experiment on my Windows 7 or Vista 64 bit edition (unless I was feeling spunky and had a very recent image backup on hand ). Just a thought to consider.

    Best Regards,

    Gerald
    Deadeye81

    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

  5. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    WNY, USA
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think we are confusing different aspects of Bart's system, 1. his PE Builder utility, 2. the system his PE Builder creates and the utilities included with it and 3. the OS system used as input to his PE Builder. I suspect the line you refer to pertains to the latter aspect.

    However you raise an interesting question, can a 32 bit AV running on a 32 bit OS clean a 64 bit OS's infections. I'm rather certain that many 32 bit apps will access a 64 bit system's hd, and can do an image backup/restore with no problem, but the AV/AM question is a good one.

    The 911cd forums are a good place to ask that and I think I will and see what the concensus is.

    Ed_P
    Ed_P

  6. #5
    Super Moderator Deadeye81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,655
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 112 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed P View Post
    I think we are confusing different aspects of Bart's system, 1. his PE Builder utility, 2. the system his PE Builder creates and the utilities included with it and 3. the OS system used as input to his PE Builder. I suspect the line you refer to pertains to the latter aspect.

    However you raise an interesting question, can a 32 bit AV running on a 32 bit OS clean a 64 bit OS's infections. I'm rather certain that many 32 bit apps will access a 64 bit system's hd, and can do an image backup/restore with no problem, but the AV/AM question is a good one.

    The 911cd forums are a good place to ask that and I think I will and see what the concensus is.

    Ed_P
    Sounds good, Ed. You have raised some good points here, too. I'm sure most fans of BartsPE will want a better understanding of this issue. It seems to be more complex than I originally considered. Looking forward to hearing the feedback from 911cd forums.
    Deadeye81

    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •