New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

When I download a file from the Internet everything is normal. When the download completes, the file very briefly appears on the desktop (my download location) and then disappears. I have looked in the Internet security setting for IE which is medium high (default) protected mode enabled, but there is nothing to indicate that downloaded files should be blocked and binned. The file is not in the recycle bin, either. It is the same for save file and open file.

I have tried 5 times to download a SS from the excel forum, it downloads and then is gone. I assume that IE is somehow blocking the download.

Running Vista SP2, IE8, with AVG and Zonealarm. Snag only started recently, maybe a month or so ago.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks
    Steve, Welcome to the Lounge.

Try setting up a Download folder on your hard drive (I have used either C:/Download or C:/My Documents/Download. Just right click on the location you want it and choose New, Folder and name it Downloadds. Then always point to that folder for downloads. Win 7 has such a folder by default, but earlier versions of Windows do not always have this. When you go to find the download, it will be in the download folder. I suspect in your case the file is getting hung up somewhere between the Temporary Internet File location where the download is first placed by Windows and the Desktop where it should be moved to when completed. Perhaps choosing a specific folder such as Downloads will solve the problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried as you suggested, but no joy. I also tried without the file extension in case it didn't like the .exe (the file was nslook.exe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update:
    I can download in Chrome, although it warns that the file could be dangerous. Accept the warning and I have the file.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another update. From another computer I have identified the message that appears in the properties box. It has a heading: Security: This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer. There is a command button next to the text with the words: Unblock.

For large files downloading I can access the unblock button, but for small files, I'm not quick enough to click before it disappears.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Running Vista SP2, IE8, with AVG and Zonealarm.
    Are you running the Free ZoneAlarm or the paid version which includes a AV program?

Is so and you are also running AVG, you need to remove one of thees AV programs.

Either of these AV programs may be doing the blocking.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your antivirus is automatically deleting the file. if you are really sure on the authenticity of the file you are downloading i would suggest you try to disable all your security tools i.e. antivirus, firewall etc...Goodluck thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Solved the problem.

I was also investigating the loss of right click scanning for AVG. In a moderator reply on uninstalling AVG, he mentioned that if files download, then disappear, then remove the file: avgoff2k.dll from the AVG 9 folder.

I cut the file from the folder and renamed it with a .bak extention, and put it on the desktop for safekeeping. I am now able to download and keep files!

Having searched online for this problem it would appear to be very widespread and for me, removing avgoff2k.dll worked a treat!

Thanks to you all for your replies and assistance.