drjabear

Count Function Returning Zero in Query

I am using Access 2000. My information flows througout my DB as follows.
    1. Source Table 2. Count Append Query to a master table.

Often my Count Append Query counts zero records and returns no append record for output. I need the query to output a count of 0 instead of nothing at all. I am sure there is an easy solution. Does anyone have any suggetions??

Thanks

Re: Count Function Returning Zero in Query

Hi,
    Can you post the SQL of your query?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe you could use the NZ() function. It converts a null value to Zero (or any other specified value). You can place it in your query as follows:

Field1: NZ([FieldName])
    OR
    Field1: NZ([FieldName],0)

The on-line help in Access will give you more information about the syntax and arguments.

HTH[img]/w3timages/icons/thinks.gif[/img]
    -MarkJ-

drjabear

Thanks for the help. I will try the NZ function and let you know how that works.

Jason

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I second Rory's motion that you post the SQL. If there are no records to count, Nz probably won't do the trick for you, since it works on a null field, but not if there is no record at all.
    Charlotte

drjabear

Here is the SQL. Thanks!!

SELECT [S-A07].BrokerProvNum AS Region, Count([S-A07].RecipientMedicaidID) AS [MCaid ID Count]
    FROM [S-A07]
    WHERE ((([S-A07].RecipientMedicaidID) Is Null Or ([S-A07].RecipientMedicaidID)="0"))
    GROUP BY [S-A07].BrokerProvNum;

Any help is apprecitated!!

drjabear

Rory,
    I have posted the SQL out on the message board. Please take a look at it on your next convenience.
    Thanks,
    Jason

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is a single table query so joins aren't the issue. Is it possible to have a record with a BrokerProvNum but no RecipientMedicaidID? If not, you'll never get any records returned unless there's one with a RecipientMedicaidID of zero. If you want to return zero counts for all BrokerProvNum values that don't have an valid RecipientMedicaidID, you can do it with a join to a table that will return every BrokerProvNum, assuming you have such a thing. For example, is your BrokerProvNum is actually a field from a tblBrokerRegion, you could change your query to this:

SELECT tblBrokerRegion.BrokerProvNum AS Region, Count([S-A07].RecipientMedicaidID) AS [MCaid ID Count]
    FROM tblBrokerRegion LEFT JOIN [S-A07] ON tblBrokerRegion.BrokerProvNum = [S-A07].BrokerProvNum
    WHERE ((([S-A07].RecipientMedicaidID) Is Null Or ([S-A07].RecipientMedicaidID)="0"))
    GROUP BY tblBrokerRegion.BrokerProvNum

That will give you all the BrokerProvNum values, which you're filtering down to those that have a ReciptientMedicaidID value of 0 or that have no related records.
    Charlotte