Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ribbon

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I hate to be whining about the Ribbon but i have been on Office 2007 since January and still have not adapted to it. I am not resistant to new technology, I work in Clinical Informatics but I cannot seem to understand how to make this thing work for me. Does anyone have a step by step approach where they spent a few hours setting up the ribbon in a way that helps them find the things they use every day? I know Microsoft has online help but wading through all that has not really helped me figure out how to set this thing up once and for all the way I want it - at least daily I am stymied by not being able to find commands i used in the past. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated...

Thanks
    Hi Birmanmom, and welcome to the Lounge!

Microsoft has a set of interactive guides available here for download, or online use.

You can also download and install the Ubit menu for Office 2007 , which will basically add the Office 2003 menu system to Office 2007. It installs a menu tab named "Menu" , and will make it easier to find the functions you want until you can learn how to access them with the ribbon menu. Here is a HowToGeek article on the Ubit menu if you would like to see more information.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might also try

gr.customguide.com

You can download cheat sheets for all of the Office 2007 suite.
    If you print on both sides of the paper then insert into sheet protectors you can keep them next to the computer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    You can also use Search Commands and Ribbon Hero from the Microsoft OfficeLabs site to help with the ribbon.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've found the same problems. I think the whole design of the ribbon and Office 2007 must have come out of a meeting at Microsoft where the main objective was "How Can We Really Irritate Our Users". Anyway before I go into full rant mode the way I've done it is to add the functions I have difficulty finding to the Quick Access Toolbar which is always visible - it doesn't require any 3rd party products.

Click on the Office button and then Word Options. Select Customise and then Add and sequence all the functions you want to the Quick Access toolbar. A check box at the bottom lets you move it to above or below the ribbon as you desire. This toolbar is always visible whatever ribbon you are in.

Works the same in Excel and Powerpoint.

Good luck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by njl100 View Post
    I think the whole design of the ribbon and Office 2007 must have come out of a meeting at Microsoft where the main objective was "How Can We Really Irritate Our Users".
    I think someone posted this here before, but I couldn't find it quickly. For background on the development of the ribbon, see The Story of the Ribbon - Jensen Harris: An Office User Interface Blog.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions - spent some time today implementing them and hope to be less frustrated when i start working again tomorrow

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,

Hate to assume, but will this fine advice also work with Office 2010?

Russ
    Best Regards,
    Russ

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Martinson View Post
    Hi All,

Russ
    Office 2010 is better. You can customize the existing ribbons and even create your own tabs on the ribbon.
    "Campaigns to bear-proof all garbage containers in wild areas have been difficult because, as
    one biologist put it, `There is a considerable overlap between the intelligence levels of the
    smartest bears and the dumbest tourists.'
    Richard Wabrek

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Martinson View Post
    Ribbon Hero works with Office 2010 but Search Commands does not. I recommend that even if you decide to install something that allows you to have something similar to the old office menus you spend as much time as you can learning and getting used to the ribbon.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I still believe the Ubit Menu (now upgraded to also work with office 2010) is the way to go if you were a "comfortable" Office 2003 user. If you are new to Office (unlikely) then I agree with JoeP above: Spend time getting familiar with the ribbon-- (see earlier post above for a link to download the Ubit menu). Athough I must say I regularly switch between the Ubit menu and the ribbon when using Word because certain functions are just easier to get to (in my opinion) using the "familiar 2003 interface"
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    Athough I must say I regularly switch between the Ubit menu and the ribbon when using Word because certain functions are just easier to get to (in my opinion) using the "familiar 2003 interface"
    If you are using Office 2010, have you tried customizing the ribbon?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ammon View Post
    Office 2010 is better. You can customize the existing ribbons and even create your own tabs on the ribbon.
    I agree, better to just move with the times, although, I've already transitioned from writing IBM PC Script, to WYSIWYG using PC-Write to WordPerfect, to Office 2000, to 2003, 2007, so how much could one more migration to 2010 hurt. Just have to go with the flow.

You all have given me the push I needed. Besides if i need any help with the customization, I know where to find it.

Thanks,
    Russ
    Best Regards,
    Russ

Thanks
    JoeP: Yes, I have tried customising the ribbon, which helps a great deal. I suppose I must just force myself to "make the break" and leave 2003 Menus/Ubit menu in the past where (perhaps) they should remain. It's just been too easy, I suppose, to stay with what's "comfortable", particularly in the midst of a busy schedule where producing a document is the goal, not "tweaking" Word. (Although I suppose the time I spend on this site suggests I have a great deal of spare time!--Not true.) Like Russ, I have also survived migration: Originally from Multimate(!) to MS Word 5 and so on up the tree.

(Editing was to correct a number of typos. More haste, less speed!)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I find the statement 'Better move with the times' really defeatist. Why should we sit back and have this garbage foisted onto us? It is OUR money.

Microsoft (and other software companies) have foisted onto their users a badly implemented replacement for the Toolbar. The ribbon is just a ghastly mess. No amount of tweaking with new releases of Office is ever going to match the out-of-the-box flexibility and familiarity of Toolbars.

With toolbars, you could drag and drop command buttons to your own personal toolbar. You could design your own button faces for your own commands and macros. You could dock your toolbar down the left side of the screen (where I find it much more accessible) or anywhere else on the screen you want it. You can save custom toolbars with templates so that different jobs will have the required set of commands at hand.

So you can do some of this with Office 2010, but what a palaver and the huge learning curve required to get to that stage. The ribbon will NEVER have the flexibility and simplicity of the old toolbars. I defy anyone to prove that the Ribbon is as productive as the Toolbar. What does it do that the toolbar couldn't do better?

The Ribbon looks pretty but it doesn't work for normal humans.

Microsoft, please accept that this is a huge fashion blunder and go back to Word 2003 practicalities and start again.

If Microsoft designed cars, we'd have no windows, only LCD screens all around!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast