New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is more of an annoyance than a problem, but I thought someone might have a solution for me. Whenever I reboot (windows 7 32bit) as soon as the network icon appears on my taskbar, so does a popup message that says ... "Additional logon information may be required. Click to open your browser." I click and the browser opens mormally with no indication why the popup message appeared. This just started recently and other than windows updates, no changes to my system. Any ideas what's causing this and how I might eliminate the annoyance?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald J Henderson View Post
    This is more of an annoyance than a problem, but I thought someone might have a solution for me. Whenever I reboot (windows 7 32bit) as soon as the network icon appears on my taskbar, so does a popup message that says ... "Additional logon information may be required. Click to open your browser." I click and the browser opens mormally with no indication why the popup message appeared. This just started recently and other than windows updates, no changes to my system. Any ideas what's causing this and how I might eliminate the annoyance?
    Have you tried scanning your pc with an antivirus program or any spyware programs that you have? if not please do scan it as it may be ja malware. Thanks and goodluck.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are two good free malware scanners:

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5756

Wait for the downloads to begin automatically. Do not be distracted by flashing adds.
    MS MCP, MCSE, MVP

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The suggestion to occasionally scan your computer with some sort of malware scanner is a a good one whether you are having problems or not. I've had excellent success with MalwareBytes both in cleaning up infected machines and checking to prevent further infection.

My first question about your "new" pop up would be whether the pop up stays once Windows is fully booted and stabilized or does it eventually go away if you leave it alone? I have noticed that Vista and Windows 7 are rather quick in telling me that something is not working in the computer simply because it hasn't had time to load. It appears to me that the "Action Center" in W7 loads long before some of the device drivers and applications. Defragging W7 also seems to change the order in which things load (I haven't researched any specifics there.) because after a defrag, I get more and/or different messages like the one you describe that say that "one or another service isn't running -- please click here to fix it". If I just wait, all those messages go away when the system is up and running.

Microsoft has done themselves and their users a dissservice in their quest to make it look like Windows is up and running quickly. You may have something that looks like a desktop really quickly. It only looks like a desktop. You can't do much if anything until the OS is loaded and stable.

My netbook gives me a pop up similar to the one you are describing when I am using only my wifi connection. I can't remember the exact wording -- but the reason the pop up is showing is that my router take a few seconds (seemingly an eternity if I am watching for it to happen) to establish a connection -- Windows has sent the request to connect with the appropriate passphrase -- but the connection hasn't been established -- Windows warns me that I may have to supply more information to log in. Once the connection is established the message goes away. If I'm using a wired connection I don't get the pop up.

Vista and W7 poll the computer to see that the essentials are loaded and running from within the OS. That is a good thing -- remember however that those alarms come from the OS. The periphial stuff can't run in an OS that isn't fully loaded. XP and older systems don't have that kind of monitoring and depend on the applications themselves to generate failure alarms which may or may not happen once the program loads -- long after the OS is loaded.

I'll give you the advice I gave a friend who put on his reading glasses and peered intently at every icon appearing in the task bar as Windows loaded -- worrying because this or that icon hadn't loaded and/or reading the series of messages that popped up during the loading process.

When my friend started clicking madly at his Vista computer because it told him his firewall wasn't turned on at every boot, I suggested that he push the power button to start his computer and either go pour himself a coffee while it boots or better still make and pour that coffee, and then deal with any alarms that persist after the computer has been running for a few minutes. In his case the question of whether the firewall was running or not was really a moot point -- he wasn't connected to a network. When he did let the computer fully boot and then manually connected to a network the firewall was fine.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your replies. I have Vipre Premium, Malware Bytes, and Super AntiSpyware running concurrently and scanning each evening (as well as active protection turned on) ... this isn't a virus.
    To Ron McLean, thanks for the in-depth response and I'm aware that certain issues clear themselves as windows completes its startup process. This particular issue just started recently with no change in my system and I wondered if anybody else had this issue ... apparently not so it appears that it's something I will just learn to live with as it causes no real problems. As I said, it's just an annoyance. Thanks again for your replies.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald J Henderson View Post
    This particular issue just started recently with no change in my system and I wondered if anybody else had this issue ... apparently not so it appears that it's something I will just learn to live with as it causes no real problems.
    Use a tool such as Autoruns for Windows or WhatInStartup - Disable/delete programs at Windows startup to check and manage what is started when your system boots. With Autoruns you'll be primarily interested in the Logon tab. If you are not familiar with some entries post a screenshot here and someone will help.

Joe
    Joe