New Lounger
    Thanks
    I normally use the built in FTP client inside Dreamweaver but yesterday I sent 8 file to a website via FTP , later in the afternoon I tried to send a few more files, I then received a error message saying the FTP data connection could not be made, I understand there are two part to the FTP process the first is the connection between the two machines the connection was made and I could view the files on the server, then there is the data connection and that is the one that failed. I tried this in Dreamweaver, then WS_FTP, and also in Firefox using FireFTP, all with the same result.

Tried on another machine and got the same result. Tried with the firewall disabled and also went around the Wireless router.

The Internet provider could not help me
    Using Dell XPS 400, Intel Pentium D CPU 2.8 GHz, 1.9GB Ram, Radeon X300SE 128MB Hypermemory, Acommdata USB HDD 150GB, Windows XP-3

New Lounger
    Thanks
    While troubleshooting the earlier problem, I found that in the Firewall logs port 21 (the one used for FTP) has been blocked, but I cannot find where is is being blocked and how to turn the blockage off. I am using AVG Internet Security and the release date for the latest database was Wed June 30 at 11:35 that coincides with when this problem started. Anybody know where the settings are that would filter that port?
    Using Dell XPS 400, Intel Pentium D CPU 2.8 GHz, 1.9GB Ram, Radeon X300SE 128MB Hypermemory, Acommdata USB HDD 150GB, Windows XP-3

Thanks
    Hi Ray, and welcome to the Lounge!

Is there an advanced firewall settings page in your AVG firewall, or a way to edit specific port settings in your profile?

Check this site out, particularly posts 13, 14, & 15. It relates to an older AVG Suite than you have, but maybe it will help you get to the right page in your version to change the FTP setting.

Hope this helps!
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was able to get an email to the Support folks at AVG and they sent a rather prompt response even though they had me check several places there was no clear-cut place to allow Port 21 to send FTP, anyway this morning when I booted up it worked fine, I had tried a Reboot yesterday and it made no difference.

Thanks for the reply good info but the interfaces for AVG have changed so much that those were no longer current to the Suite I use.