Thread: DVD RW Drive

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Windows Media Center 2004 XP SP3 and have been for years. All of a sudden I found I could not write to a CD or DVD. The drive lights come on, I can read and use files on a CD or DVD, the drive shows up on Windows Explorer, Device Manager does not indicate any problem. I changed out the drive for one that I knew was working and still have the problem. Roxio is the program I use to burn disks. I get a message that says to insert an empty disk or one large enough to complete the project.

Thanks for any help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the identical problem, and was thinking of buying a new drive. You just saved me from that - thank you.
    I also had Roxio before Windows included it, and notes that it is still a Roxio program.
    Someone told me that I was possibly trying to copy "protected" material, but the same CD that I couldn't
    copy was done on another machine with XP on it, so the mystery continues.

If you get a reply, please put it up so we can get some good info, OK?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try removing the CD in Device Manager and re-booting. Windows will re-install the CD.
    Then test by loading a blank CD and dragging a file to the CD via Windows Explorer and following the prompts - do not use Roxio.

cheers, Paul