Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    I have just installed it, but avoiding Ask toolbar install is not possible. Seems Big Brother is getting bigger.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is getting tougher, requires more and more careful reading during the install of ad-supported software these days. The Foxit reader install is particularly tricky now because after unticing the Make Ask the default and the Set Ask.com as the homepage, one has to click on the Decline button, not the Accept button, which might lead on to think that the Foxit reader is not going to be installed, but its only for the Ask stuff. After Declining the install of Foxit Reader proceeds, but, then right at the end there is another box to untic so that the Ebay shortcut is not created and placed on the desktop.

Its getting so that one must wade through an install almost like one is dealing with some malware with the potential to infect, but as far as I can see its not big brother, its just a couple corporations with a plan...

Lounger
    Thanks
    A good place to check for those unwanted installs is the Hall of Shame List over on Calendar of Updates.
    http://www.calendarofupdates.com/upd...event_id=44514

I have moved away from foxit and have been using for a couple of years now the PDF xchange viewer which also has a free version and I much prefer it. You do have to watch out for unwanteds of course (ask toolbar and it is an opt out so must de-select the button) but it is a very nice product.
    http://www.tracker-software.com/prod...xchange-viewer
    http://download.cnet.com/PDF-XChange...-10598377.html
    registered Linux user:476595

Thanks
    Hi R-C, PDF exchange does not show as compatible with W7.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    It is getting tougher, requires more and more careful reading during the install of ad-supported software these days. The Foxit reader install is particularly tricky now because after unticing the Make Ask the default and the Set Ask.com as the homepage, one has to click on the Decline button, not the Accept button, which might lead on to think that the Foxit reader is not going to be installed, but its only for the Ask stuff. After Declining the install of Foxit Reader proceeds, but, then right at the end there is another box to untic so that the Ebay shortcut is not created and placed on the desktop.

Its getting so that one must wade through an install almost like one is dealing with some malware with the potential to infect, but as far as I can see its not big brother, its just a couple corporations with a plan...
    ditto, I've discovered that too. It in no way deters me from using an otherwise light weight and decent app.
    It's the price you have to sometimes pay for freeware.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner on the actual manufacturer page in the system requirements it definitely shows the windows seven icon as well as the Vista icon and states the following
    The Free PDF-XChange Viewer FREE/PRO is compatible with all Windows Versions from Windows 2000 and later both 32 & 64 bit architecture.
    Note: The .exe installers auto-detect System Architecture and install 32 and 64 bit components accordingly.
    I have it installed on a laptop with windows 7 64bit and it is working fine, as well as on my xp pro and home..

I posted the cnet link because on the manufacturers page, since they have updated it, it is confusing to find the free version. There is definitely a totally free version, it is the one I use.
    registered Linux user:476595

Thanks
    I switched a month or so ago to PDF-XChange Viewer when I got fed up with Adobe. PDF-XChange Viewer got a very strong recommendation on Gizmo's Freeware site: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...election_Guide. I have it installed on my Windows 7 netbook and my WinXP Pro desktop, and I've been very pleased with it on both computers.

Thanks
    I have tried all PDF readers as per Gizmo, and Foxit is my fav. as I only use its reading feature.

Thanks
    I have switched from Foxit Reader to PDF-XChange Viewer because of the "extras" Foxit tries to push onto me. I was using Foxit, but do not like to be offered all the stuff I do not want and have no intention of using. I keep all this stuff off my PC because all they do is slow down my system. I spent a lot of time and energy speeding it up, I have no intention of letting something I do not want slow it back down.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Only the .exe installer version of Foxit contains the tool bars. If you download the .zip version from http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/index.php this just contains the core Foxit program. Just extract foxitreader.exe into a suitable folder and run it. No installation, no screens to ask you what to install, just the basic program.

Sadly they plug the link to the .exe version in all their publicity. There are loads of messages all over the internet about this Ask toolbar issue and nobody seems to know about the the .zip version. Please publicise it...

Thanks
    Hi Dave, thanks for the info, I will give it a try.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was using Foxit but now I've switched to the free Nitro Reader recommended by Download.com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sumatra PDF reader is small fast and does not play these tricks. It also seems to be frequently updated!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    I have just installed it, but avoiding Ask toolbar install is not possible. Seems Big Brother is getting bigger.
    Not correct - but you have to read everything very carefully to avoid the assorted rubbish that the installation makes available. I managed it - so so could you!

Have a read through this thread, including the comments!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Whenever I install essentials like a pdf reader or otherwise, I use the ninite installer as it does multiple installs and latest versions of different programs and with most additional bloatware unticked by default. I recently installed foxit using this method and the ask toolbar was there but clearly required unticking. Simples.ninite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast