New Lounger
    Thanks
    Based on my search for a solution I think that there are a lot of people who can;t get the updates for .net framework to install as offered by Windows update.
    So I'm stuck with the little yellow shield and the system telling me that it can't install them.

There are items on Microsoft suggesting solutions but it's the typical MS Gobbledeegook.

What this needs is a "Guided Help" like they have in other problem situtations.
    Mike-Flood

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Sometimes .NET installations get so messed up the only resort is to uninstall all the .NET stuff and reinstall it. See .NET Framework Cleanup Tool User's Guide - Aaron Stebner's WebLog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs for a tool to help.

If you use the tool then go to the Microsoft Download Center for the .net redistributable versions you need.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for the quick reply.
    I think I need to study all of this before I try anything and totally screw up my PC. I have the problem on my Netbook and two other PC's in the house. Major pain.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Once an update has failed to install, JoeP's suggestion is about all that is left. This can be a nerve racking process (I have been through it too many times myself) as it is possible it will leave your PC in an unstable state. If you have Quickbooks installed and remove all .net frameworks Quickbooks will try and reinstall unsuccessfully on the next boot. You then have to go in and kill its install processes before you can reinstall the frameworks. I wrote up my procedure for .net 1.1 on the quickbooks forums here. Although you will not have this exact situation this may give you some pointers on which processes may cause you trouble.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M Flood View Post
    Major pain.

Yes. I have 25 workstations that need to be done.......

It would be faster to restore the images but I think I would have the same trouble again when I tried to apply the updates. I think I will stock up on ibuprofen and coffee and go to work.....