2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a network with 3 Windows XP computers and 1 Windows 7 computer, a NAS box, a security system and a couple of network connected printers all connected through a Linksys WRT54G wireless/wired router with a couple of Linksys switches in the LAN.

Two of the XP computers have, in the past, been connect to the LAN by wireless with everything else wired and it has all worked flawlessly for years.

Recently I decided the wireless link was getting too slow for what we now do on the network and so I've installed a wired connection to one of the XP machines, via one of the Linksys switches.

Now the strange bit - the newly wired XP computer can still access everything on the LAN just like always EXCEPT that it cannot access the Internet. Everything else still accesses the Internet perfectly. Revert to a wireless connection using the same IP or a new IP address and the Internet reappears.

I've tried rebooting the computer after enabling its wired LAN connection and disbling the WLAN connection and setting the IP manual address (I always use manual IPs and have DHCP disabled), then rebooting the router - no Internet. Ipconfig/all shows the configuration is as required, ie LAN NIC active with its correct IP and DNS and WLAN NIC disabled.

Reset the computer to wireless, no reboot of the computer or router - the Internet reappears.

All computers have fully updated versions of Windows.

Any suggestions as to what might be preventing the newly wire connected XP computer from not seeing the Internet?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try two pings from the command prompt while using the wired connection and not able to load web pages.

Code:
    ping www.google.com
    and

Code:
    ping 8.8.8.8
    let us know if either one returns replies. (this is to test DNS settings)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would suspect one of three things

1> Incorrect static IP settings. Either the gateway address or the DNS server settings could be wrong. Please compare them (again) with a working machine. Another option to test may be to enable DHCP on this connection and let the router assign these settings.

2> You have setup filtering on the router that does not allow access based on IP address or MAC address. Be aware that the MAC address is carried on the NIC, not on the machine.

3> A software firewall that is configured to allow http: access through the Wireless interface but has not been configured to allow access through the wired interface.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Mercyh, I'd fogotten to set the Gateway IP - put it in and issue resolved.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Why are you not using DHCP?

cheers, Paul