5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Windows Server 2003 SP2. When logged in as an administrator, I can double click on a .jpg file, and it will open in the default application, which I can change through Folder options > File types. However, when logged in as an ordinary user, I get a "no application associated with this file type" error when I double click on a .jpg file (although I can right-click on it and select "Open with" to open it in an application manually), and when I try to change the file association through Folder options > File types, the Change buttons are disabled (greyed out) for the .jpg type. How can I fix this?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    When logged in as the standard user, try right clicking a Windows Explorer shortcut and select "Run As". Run as the administrator account and see if you can change the file association.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. When I do that, if I enter an incorrect password, then it tells me so, but if I enter a correct password, then nothing happens; i.e., Windows Explorer does not run.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Try this then. Download the progam SidToName from JSI Tip 5471. SidToName freeware Will decode a SID at a specified machine into a user-friendly username.. No installation needed just unzip it somewhere. When you are logged in as an administrator run regedit and navigate to HKEY_USERS and decode the SIDs until you find the non-admin user. Then find the admin user and the jpg class, copy the registry info, and add it to the non-admin user.

Joe
    Joe