New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an ongoing problem with Outlook 2002 popping up a password request continually, even after I have i advise it to remember the password. This happened once before and I was instructed to delete a registry entry for "Protected storage system provider". That solved the problem the 1st time and things was normal for months.

Then I had a "BSOD" which required reinstalling Win XP Pro. Things were ok for a few weeks , then it started again.

I tried following the same procedure,but this time when I attempt to delete the registry entry I get an error message and it won't allow deletion.

I am listed as the Administrator and user of the machine and it appears on the surface (unless I'm missing something) that I have all of the necessary permissions.

This has prevented me from sending or receiving emails for several weeks now.i have read MS support documents # 308421,307874,308419 but I don't know what I'm reading (its over my head).

Before I uninstall Outlook and reinstall it can anyone out there provide some help, direction, guidance or all?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Run regedit and navigate to the key. Right click the key and select Permissions. Take ownership of the key. Re-boot and then try to modify it.

Joe

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Run regedit and navigate to the key. Right click the key and select Permissions. Take ownership of the key. Re-boot and then try to modify it.

Joe
    when you write "take ownership" I appear both as administrator and a second listing without the administrator title. When I boot up and go to the USER screen, my name and the "guest" login are the only choices available.

Should I delete the "non" Administrator entry?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i tried your suggestion and continue to get an error message. I tried signing on as USER... but the registry didn't have any registry entry for "Protected storage system provider".

So I haven't gone very far... can you explain to me what this entry does and why it only appears in the "administrators" screens?

Maybe you can provide me with a step by step walk through to insure that my settings are what they should be....

will uninstalling & reinstalling Outlook have any effect?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Perciavalle View Post
    when you write "take ownership" I appear both as administrator and a second listing without the administrator title. When I boot up and go to the USER screen, my name and the "guest" login are the only choices available.

Should I delete the "non" Administrator entry?
    No. You should not delete entries. In the Permissions window at the bottom there is an Advanced button. "push" it and the clickon the "Owner" tab. You should be able to select your userid as the new Owner. Then click OK.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    No. You should not delete entries. In the Permissions window at the bottom there is an Advanced button. "push" it and the click on the "Owner" tab. You should be able to select your userid as the new Owner. Then click OK.

Joe
    Joe,

I spent some time copying over the permissions and Heres what I found... There is a permissions for Administrator/Eugene/, a 2nd one for Eugene(with numbers) and a third for SYSTEM..... all have full permissions...

I was finally able to delete the KEY without any error msgs and reboot...but it reappears after a reboot.

when I tried to use OUTLOOK, the problem persisted and i was unable to send (test) incoming mails. I get timed out... However the sending test works. I post screen shots of what I have, will that help you in anyway?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The password save box was already checked as I have to need to PW security on this machine, I'm the only one who uses it. My wife has her own machine....

I checked my wife's machine "protected storage settings" and there is only one entry for "SYSTEM". tHERE ARE NO OTHER ENTRIES FOR HER NAME OR ADMINSTRATORS ETC.

Can you guide me to set my machine up in the same fashion???????? with a single entry?