Lounger
    Thanks
    I have recently switched from Windows XP to 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate. I'm happy with most of the changes, except for one: when I open a windows, it "glides" open instead of opening immediately. When I'm editing something in Word (for example), doing ALT-E-F to open a "Find" window was almost instantaneous under Windows XP, but there is a noticeable (and productivity-affecting) delay in Windows 7. Turning of Aero (e.g., by choosing a "basic" theme) fixes the problem, but I like most of Aero's features. I have tried turning off specific Aero features (Control Panel...System...Advanced system settings...Advanced tab...Performance area...Settings button), but have been unable to find a setting that affects this behavior. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.

Ross

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See if something at Visual Effects Settings - Change - Windows 7 Forums helps. Pay particular attention to the animation settings.

How old is your system? What video card do you have?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe -

I'll take a look at the other forum. Thanks for the suggestion. The system is a Lenovo ThinkPad T410 (i7 m620 with 8GB of RAM) with an Nvidia NVS3100M card with 256MB of video memory. I've updated the drivers.

Ross

Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe -

I looked at the other forum. The setting they are suggesting be played with are the same ones I've tried, without success.

Thanks anyway.

Ross

Thanks
    Hi Ross,

Click on the Start orb and type into the search box Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows , and select the Custom button. Uncheck the Animate windows when minimized and maximized box. Click Apply , and your windows should snap when opened and closed, as well as minimize and maximize without the slide effects.

You can try disabling all the other animation effects, but some of them really are not very demanding on a system. Be sure to leave any box checked that has references to Aero.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    This is what mine looks like. My windows definitely zip open and closed. I have also gotten rid of a few more options.

[attachment=89118:2010-07-02_1921.png]

Some of the Aero features are a little irritating but I also like some of the features. Have fun!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald, Ted,

Thanks for the suggestions. However, I have tried unchecking (one at a time) almost all of the boxes in Performance Options...Visual Effects (and hitting "Apply" after each; I've also tried rebooting after a change) without effect. I specifically did try unchecking the "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing" box. All of that had no effect. The only thing that does cause my windows to "snap" open instead of glide is when I choose a "basic" theme (i.e., one without Aero).

Thanks for trying. Any other ideas?

Ross

Thanks
    Aero is misbehaving on your Windows 7 installation. On the Visual Effects page, select Let Windows choose what's best for my computer to see what happens.

Are you having any other odd behaviors on your computer?

Has this been going on since the day you obtained your new Lenovo? Or is it a more recent development? If your computer has been like this since you purchased it, then maybe Lenovo will fix the problem.

If it is a more recent problem, perhaps a System Restore from a date earlier than these symptoms showed would help. Or maybe you have an image backup of your Windows 7 installation dated before the problem surfaced.

You might try a Clean Boot to help identify if an application (probably a third party app) is interfering with Aero. Click Start, type msconfig in the search box and press enter. Go to the Services tab and check the Hide all Microsoft services option and choose Disable All. Next go to the Startup tab and choose Disable All. Restart and test to see if the problem continues. If it does, you can disable half of the services/startup items at a time to possibly narrow down the conflicting program.

If the above suggestions do not help, then it may take a recovery of your system to the factory fresh image. I would try a repair install before going that route though.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Ross,

Did your system exhibit this problem from day 1 or after doing something to the PC? If from day 1 I also suspect a reinstallation may be in order, although as Gerald states, a repair install might be worth the try first. You say you switched from XP to Win 7. Did you upgrade yourself, or purchase a new PC with Win 7? If you upgraded yourself, did you do an In Place Upgrade of your XP OS or did you do a Custom (Clean) install of Win 7 over your XP OS? There have been more problems reported with the In Place Upgrade option.

One further thing I would suggest a little off topic, but when you do get your system setup and running properly and customized the way you want it, do a complete disk image. This will allow you to reinstall your OS in a short period of time when you do something, we all hose our systems periodically when we try new things, to hose your OS. (I call my episodes "senior moments" since my rooftop is very grey and missing most of it's natural insulation). It takes me less than 1 hour to completely reinstall EVERYTHING including all apps to where it was at the time of my latest image (I usually reimage once a month and save all images to an ext HD)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald, Ted,

Thank you both. I'll try to answer your questions. I did try the "Let Windows choose what's best for my computer," without effect. By the way, the status of the check boxes remained the same as what I had under this setting. Yes, the problem has been there since day 1. The Lenovo came with Windows 7 installed. I do have an image of the system as originally supplied, and even an image after I got much of the software configured the way I wanted it. However, I've added enough software and done enough configuration since then that I am reluctant to try to go back to the factory image: it would take me quite a bit of time to get from there to where I am. One of the first things I installed after I got the machine was Office 2000, and the behavior showed up immediately. Note that while the "glide open" behavior is most apparent in Word, it is present with all windows. There have been only two other odd behaviors I've noted, and it is true that both of these have been in Word, and both associated with graphics. First, when I close a window in a Word document (e.g., after doing a "find" operation), there is a trace of the outline of the window that remains until something is moved (i.e., until there is a reason for the graphics to redraw). That's a minor bother. Second, when I insert a picture into a Word document I get the following behavior:

I Insert a picture into a Word document. Clicking on the inserted pictures the first time brings up the frame with "handles" and the picture toolbar, as normal. If I then click on the "cut" (some would call the "crop") tool on the toolbar, and then try to click on one of the handles to move the frame to crop the picture, the frame disappears. After that, if I click outside of the picture the frame reappears, but not the toolbar. If I click inside the picture, the toolbar appears, but not the frame. After that first time, I cannot seem to get the toolbar and the frame to appear simultaneously. This makes it very difficult to crop a picture. I can crop it, by guessing where a handle is. If I guess correctly, the cropping tool works as normal. However, not being able to see the handles or the frame after selecting the cropping tool is a major problem.

The above description is from the post I made a day or so ago in the Word Processing forum, asking if anyone else was running Office 2000 under Windows 7 and had noticed the same behavior. I haven't received any replies. If it wasn't for the fact that the "glide open" behavior was observed with all windows, I would suspect that the problem was with trying to run as old an app as Office 2000 under Aero. However, I do observe the behavior with all windows. On the other hand, the "glide open" is much slower in Office 2000 than with other windows. It may be that what I'm bothered about is that slowness of what is otherwise an Aero feature, and the slowness is associated with running the old app under Windows 7.

I have both Office 2007 and Office 2010, but I am VERY reluctant to switch, for many reasons. A primary reason is that I'm editor-in-chief of two international scientific publications, and it would significantly affect my productivity and work flow. By the way, Microsoft claims Office 2000 is compatible with Windows 7.

I will try contacting Lenovo to see what they say. Thanks again for all your help.

Ross

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RossStone View Post
    I have both Office 2007 and Office 2010, but I am VERY reluctant to switch, for many reasons. A primary reason is that I'm editor-in-chief of two international scientific publications, and it would significantly affect my productivity and work flow. By the way, Microsoft claims Office 2000 is compatible with Windows 7.

Ross
    I might be behind on the latest compatibility news, but when Windows 7 came out, I checked the Windows 7 Software Compatibility lists to determine if I could confidently install Office 2000 on a new Windows 7 system. The Compatibility site indicated Office 2000 was not compatible with either the 32 or 64 bit editions of Windows 7, and after checking the link just now, MS does not show any change in the status of their older Office edition.

Where did you get the information that MS claims Office 2000 is compatible with Windows 7? Please know that I do not doubt your word on this. I have believed it is not compatible all this time, and if that is not the case, I can't help but wonder what other software listed as incompatible is actually capable of running on Windows 7.
    Deadeye81

Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald -

This is interesting. Several months ago, when I ran the Windows 7 compatibility checking software, it returned Office 2000 as something like "compatible with restriction" (that wasn't the exact wording, but it was the idea). The compatibility site now says you need to upgrade.

I did quite a bit of searching on the Web before choosing a Windows 7 machine, and what I found indicated that the only problem with running Office 2000 under Windows 7 that had been reported was a problem with Outlook. Since I don't use Outlook, that didn't seem to be an issue. Indeed, the only problems I've had with Office 2000 under Windows 7 are those I reported above. While I haven't tried everything, I have done some fairly extensive use of Word 2000 and some somewhat less-extensive use of PowerPoint 2000, and both of those (as well as the Office Toolbar) seem to work fine - except for the problems noted above.

I suspect that there are a lot of programs that will basically work just fine under Windows 7, but may either have one problem, or because of their architecture may be thought likely to have problems, and Microsoft is being conservative in their recommendations (which I can certainly understand). I'm currently also running PhotoShop 5.5 under Windows 7 (and remember, I'm running the 64-bit Ultimate version) without a problem. I can tell you that LapLink 12 (and, apparently, all other versions of LapLink) will not run under Windows 7. I was able to get LapLink 12 to run just fine under XP in a Microsoft virtual machine under Windows 7. However, I could not arrange things so that LapLink under XP under the virtual machine was able to see the whole C: drive on the computer (and I spent a lot of time and did a lot of research trying to do that). I can also report from first-hand experience that Acrobat Professional 7 is not compatible with Windows 7, but version 9 is (and version 8 is supposed to be).

By the way, I just talked with Lenovo Technical Support (which you have to love, and is part of the reason I like the Thinkpads so much: it's Saturday afternoon on a July 4 weekend and you get through to someone in Atlanta without having to spend more than the time it takes to get through the menu tree - and the person you reach is knowledgeable, and doesn't start out by suggesting you reformat your hard drive!). They have heard no reports of the type of behavior I described. Given the description, they think it is likely that the problems are incompatibilities with Office 2000 and Windows 7.

I hope this helps. Thanks for your help.

Ross

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ross,

I am very new to this forum but was interested in your post. I have been running Acrobat Professional 7 on my Win7 machine with no real problems. I don't use it extensively but have had no issues so far. I do know that Win7 will run Office 2003 very well, and i would suggest upgrading from 2000. The differences are minimal so there will be no loss of productivity. I can't help but feel that your aero issues stem from this app. Office inserts itself throughout the OS and I would suggest uninstalling it and seeing if it makes a difference. Just a suggestion.

Office 2007 and 2010 are really rather awesome and I am at a loss as to why you are reluctant to upgrade - and there is an app out there that will make the menu bar run and look like 2000, lol, but can't remember the name of it. Think I read about it in Windows Secrets!! Know this is a bit off topic (even tho' I think the aero problem is related).

Susan