Lounger
    Thanks
    I just put together a new tower, using the following new components:

Biostar A785G3 MB (cheap but got good reviews and has what I need)
    AMD Athlon II X4 635 CPU
    Corsair 2X2GB DDR3/1333 memory
    WD Caviar SATA 500GB HDD
    Lite-on 24X SATA DVD
    EVGA GeForce 9800GT PCI 2.0 X16 Graphics Card
    Coolmaster 700W PS

The problem is, when I fire it up it recognizes the CPU, the memory, and then both SATA drives, but then the boot sequence just stops. I jumped the CMOS to no effect. This behavior is repeatable, and pressing any of the usual keys (Esc, Del, F8, etc) does nothing. I have reseated all the cables.

The MB manufacturer has not responded to my trouble E-mail, so I am wondering if any of you experts have any idea what i might try next. If nobody had any ideas, i am shipping the MB back to TigerDirect.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike
    I can always use good information

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can the BIOS be accessed? Does BIOS recognize the correct capacities of memory, drives, etc.? What is BIOS boot sequence?
    Does the processor and other hardware match the MB BIOS specs.... see this link
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/bios.php?S_ID=459

Try putting something bootable in CD/DVD drive.

Thanks
    Mike, what operating system do you have installed? Do you get any kind of error message when it fails to boot?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sullivan View Post
    Can the BIOS be accessed? Does BIOS recognize the correct capacities of memory, drives, etc.? What is BIOS boot sequence?
    Does the processor and other hardware match the MB BIOS specs.... see this link
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/bios.php?S_ID=459

Try putting something bootable in CD/DVD drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Mike, what operating system do you have installed? Do you get any kind of error message when it fails to boot?

In answer to both of your questions: I do have a bootable disc (Win 7 install) in the DVD drive. I don't seem to be able to access the BIOS (the idea in your link won't work because I can't get far enough into the start to load anything), but the info about CPU, Memory and drives is correct on the screen. I get no error message - it just stops dead. As for the OS - this is a totally new box. I am planning to put Win 7 on it, but can't get that far yet.
    Mike

Thanks
    Check and see that you have the latest bios, if not, flash to latest version and try to post again.
    If you can't at least get into the bios then the board will need to be RMA'd or tech support called.

You might also try to post with just one stick of RAM in the
    appropriate slot. That make and model of board has been known to be picky with RAM.

Check the boards spec sheet for specific single DIMM placement.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Check and see that you have the latest bios, if not, flash to latest version and try to post again.
    If you can't at least get into the bios then the board will need to be RMA'd or tech support called.

You might also try to post with just one stick of RAM in the
    appropriate slot. That make and model of board has been known to be picky with RAM.

Check the boards spec sheet for specific single DIMM placement.
    Clint - I am definitely unable to get far enough to flash the BIOS. The POST doesn't even get far enough to SEE the BIOS setting part. At the (finally) suggestion of the Biostar TS, I took the cables off all the drives, and even took out the PCI graphics card just to see if the thing would make it through the POST - no luck. Using one stick of RAM did nothing either. I am attaching a picture of the screen to show where it stops (this is the only screen that appears). Sorry about the blurriness, but it is readable.
    [attachment=89120:Biostar Boot problem.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike

Thanks
    Will Biostar TS replace thye board?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Will Biostar TS replace thye board?
    No, but TigerDirect had better replace it. I assume by that statement you think the MB is toast
    Mike

Thanks
    TigerDirect should replace it if they're anything like Newegg.
    If you've paid good money for a board with a warranty, then at least you should be able to get the thing to post.
    Provided that you have made a reasonable attempt to troubleshoot it.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    Have you tried it with just 1 SATA drive at a time?
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to put this thread to bed - I have decided after getting all of your input that the MB is bad, and have RMAed it to TigerDirect for a refund. I have just bought a Gigabyte MB to try instead as I have had good luck with that brand.

I want all of you to know I really appreciated everybodies excellent input.

Thanks
    Mike